Transformer Stage Constraints

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If things are exactly as you describe you have found a bug. Are you doing this in a server job or a parallel job or a mainframe job?
If it's in a server job it is possible to see the code that is generated; determine the job number from DS_JOBS then find the code generated by the Transformer stage in the subdirectory RT_BPxx in your project (on the server), where xx is the job number.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
rajesh_potluri
Participant

Post by rajesh_potluri »

hi sumit,

The problem could be in the program or in the interpretation of the test result. Shudn't be ne issue with DataStage.

hi ray,

i know wat a server job is nd wat a mainframe job is, cud u plz xplain wat a parallel job is?

Thank You.

Rajesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In DataStage 6.0 is implemented the "Orchestrate" parallel technology Ascential acquired by purchasing Torrent Systems a couple of years ago. Ascential has adapted this slightly and named it Parallel Extender. It's an entirely different paradigm, capable of hugely scaling up, using multiple processing nodes; either on SMP (symmetric multi-processing) systems, in which some hardware resources may be shared among processors, or cluster or MPP (massively parallel processing, also known as share-nothing) systems, in which each processor has exclusive access to hardware resources. Job designs use a different set of stage types in parallel jobs, where stages and links are specified to run in N parallel instances (DataStage looks after the pipelining and partitioning according to designed-in rules.)
There is a Forum on Parallel Extender that can be found on the DataStage Exchange (www.datastagexchange.com) forum, with a number of "do you know" topics already there.
You can also read the Parallel Job Developer's Guide, which is included with your DataStage manuals (I note that the OP is using 6.1, not sure about Rajesh) that are installed with DataStage client software.
rajesh_potluri
Participant

Post by rajesh_potluri »

hi ray,

This is very informative for me. Thank You.
I am using the 5.2.1 version of DataStage, so wasn't aware of Parallel Extender.

Rajesh