audit message from os390

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lucianopolinari
Participant

audit message from os390

Post by lucianopolinari »

Hello,

I should extract audit informations as JobName, StageName ect. from a Mainframe Job compiled and launched by Host. How could I do this ?

Thank you[:)]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You don't, unless you have the job designed so as to have these values emitted by the generated COBOL programs.
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

MetaStage can extract "mainframe" based job metadata and store it in the MetaStage Repository. Mainframe jobs are still stored on the DataStage "Server". So, static information about a job can be derived using MetaStage.

Mainframe jobs are just ftp'd to the mainframe to be linked/bound and run. All design aspects of the job still occur on the DataStage Server.

It may be possible with future DataStage releases to capture process metadata from mainframe jobs. Right now, only static metadata.

Kevin Janes
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sure, but there's no way he's going to get stage names! [;)]
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

Ray, I guess your reply is related to "process" metadata because static job type metadata certainly carries stage names in the metadata. Static Mainframe job metadata is very much like static server-side job metadata.

Kevin Janes
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Ascential has a way to collect process metadata from a mainframe job and insert in into metastage - ask them !
The Run JCL creates a report file that is "redirected" to sysout(console) you can "redirect" it to a regular file and process it in a fixed step in the RUN JCL after the COBOL terminates O.K. (the ONLY missing data there is the real file name that was processed only the DD name - howerver with a little knowledge of the SDSF utility you can get it also)
Version 6.0.1 has the last line indicator working (I think it didn't work in 6.0r3) so you can collect data even in your job design.

Always remember that the COMPILE & RUN JCL'S are templates only - you can customize them anyway you like.[:D]

P.S

Ray is right no way to get stage names ( You can think of them a sections/paragraphs in a COBOL program - except from debug do you really need to audit them by name?)
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

A stage name to me is an object type not a COBOL section/mainline/subroutine. Of course you are not going to get COBOL sections in your metadata. It is a single code stream instead of a "stage".

For mainframe jobs you can get information like predicate and SQL from "stages" (i.e. lookup stage, database stage, etc...).

I am aware that there is a way to get process metadata from mainframe jobs but it has not exactly been promoted. The capturing of mainframe process metadata appears to be evolving based on customer needs. FYI, Capturing process metadata can consume a lot of disk space and bandwidth depending on the number of jobs and their complexity.

Kevin Janes
Viswanath
Participant

Post by Viswanath »

We used to handle auditing seperately. Since the mainframe jobs are processed row-wise, we entered audit information into a file for every row that was being read. This was effective and solved our purpose. We did have a requirement to get the JobName. But StageName was not present. We used to Hardcode the JobName. I guess Ray is right. I am not sure if you can get the StageName from the job. Hope this helps.

Cheers [:D]

Viswanath.S