Version Control and Visual Source Safe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastagedummy
Participant

Version Control and Visual Source Safe

Post by datastagedummy »

With so much of discussions going around Version Control. I have a question.

Presently we are using DataSatges Export/Import facility and VSS for version control but have also been evaluating DataStages Version Control (after replies for my previous post "Compile Status").

In all my previous DataStage/Informatica assignments I have seen that most(all) of the establishments use VSS is there any reason for using VSS over VC ?

Whats the suggestion from the forum, pros & cons of VSS/VC ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You may want to try searching the forum (and the Oliver archive), this issue has been discussed several times in the recent past I believe.

-craig
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Version Control is coming relativly new together with DataStage, a bit shorter it could be bought for an add-on price from a third-party.

Versioning should be considered in the beginning of a project, but mostly you think at the end.

Most projects are already old, so at that time your choice was VSS or PVCS or an other Versioning-Tool on the market (or making no versioning or a manual one).

VC is related to datastage. If you have in your project more elements than datastage you may consider a more global tool, like VSS or PVCS.

There are also tools on the market, which facilitate and automate the link between an external Versioning Product and DataStage. dsmove is one of this tools. If you need details please let me know.

Wolfgang