Compile Status

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastagedummy
Participant

Compile Status

Post by datastagedummy »

Where can I find the Last Compilation Date and the Last Saved Date for DataStage Jobs.

Since our DEV/QA/PROD environment are all the same we move jobs from DEV to QA and PROD by just exporting the jobs with both "Job designs" and "Job executables" and then when we import it back it comes up with the status as compiled but in some of the jobs we have observed that though the latest source gets moved over and the status to is set to copiled but the Object Code that runs is from the previous version by just opening up the jobs and compiling them once again the source code and compiled code sync up. We plan to use Compileall in the future but would like to know if this is a common problem and is there any better solution to this ?

Thanks in advance for the help RAY :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Date/time modified is most easily seen by selecting Detail from the View menu in Manager. This is the "saved" date/time you sought.
DataStage does not expose date/time compiled; however, the operating system's date/time modified stamp on the RT_BPxx directory for the job, or any of the files in it, is an accurate guide to when the job was compiled.
I am surprised by your assertion that, even with "job executables" checked on export the previous compiled version is left in place on import. You could check the export file to determine whether the job binaries are included (they're text-encoded, so it's safe to view them with a text editor). And, which is I guess what you are wanting to do, you can check whether the executable is, in fact, installed on the target system.
Version Control for DataStage can perform the compilation as part of promoting jobs from DEV to QA or PROD automatically. VC is supplied with DataStage (no extra charge); why not check it out? It's easy to learn, and effective at what it does.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Exactly! Now that Version Control is included *free* with DataStage, there's really no reason in the world to be exporting jobs out of Manager to promote them. What a pain. [}:)]

VC will automate the promotion, compilation and even (optionally) set the jobs in your non-development projects to 'read only', which is highly-recommended in my book. It will also log your changes in its own project (and the jobs themselves) and allow full fallback to older versions of jobs if there are any issues with the promoted code.

Personally, I can't imagine going back to export/import or the Packaging Wizard again. Yuk.

-craig
datastagedummy
Participant

Post by datastagedummy »

Thanks Ray but could I ask you one more question ?

Where would I find the RT_BP??? value for a particular Job ?

Thanks a lot once again for making me a little smarter [8D]
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

SELECT JOBNO FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME = 'JobName';

You can execute the SQL from the Administrator's Command window, or from a session (via telnet, perhaps) on the server, in the DataStage environment - if this sounds too awesome, stay with the Administrator client!

The number returned is the number you need to complete the name of RT_BPxx.