SQL View of the DS repository ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ariear
Participant

SQL View of the DS repository ?

Post by ariear »

Does anyone know if Ascential is going to release a pure SQL view on DS repository ?

Is it that difficult to implement some read-only SQL views for us dumb users ?

I'm familiar with the documentation tool. I even tried to analyze the XML export files. I'm a MetaStage user also (a very good idea was the export to Database feature and the query templates provided in MS 6.1) - but it's all batch stuff. I believe this is a very needed feature by the long list of questions in this forum
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm pretty certain that the answer is no.

The DataStage repository is not a first normal form database, which makes SQL inappropriate. Metadata for the DataStage repository are not in the public domain (including column names for the repository tables), and the database uses DataStage's "no data types" method of storage (dynamic arrays). Again, SQL would not be an appropriate query language to use.

Not only that, but there are lots of different things (job design objects, collections of metadata, DataStage BASIC code, C code (for parallel jobs), COBOL and JCL scripts, all stored there.

Finally, it's probably Ascential's position (though I cannot speak for them, having never been an employee) that (a) you don't need to know, (b) Asecential doesn't want you to know, and (c) Ascential reserves the right to change it - subject to preserving backwards compatibility - at any time.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
uneumann
Participant

Post by uneumann »

But in the near future the DataStage repository should be in a RDBMS (Cobra Release).

Regrads,
Udo
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Interesting news [:D]