Dimension of Job's Parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

eoyylo
Participant

Dimension of Job's Parameters

Post by eoyylo »

Hi,
i need to know how many characters (byte) are the max lenght of a Job's parameter (String).
Is it possible to use a different datatype longer than string for a very large parameter (approssimatively 30 Kb)?

thanks

Mario Loreti
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ok, you've peaked my interest. [:)]

I don't know the answer to your question (probably depends on your o/s), but I am very curious to know in what kind of situation would you need to provide a parameter to a job that's 30kb? If you don't mind me asking...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If NLS is enabled the nexus one character = one byte does not necessarily hold.
That said, the maximum size of a string literal (that is, a string constant enclosed in quotes) is documented as 255 bytes.
If, on the other hand, you create the string in a variable in a job control routine, then you incur no such limit; in fact the largest string you can have in DataStage BASIC is constrained primarily by the amount of memory you have available in which to store it. I have seen and used strings over 3MB in size (though not, it must be admitted, as job parameters).

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
eoyylo
Participant

Post by eoyylo »

Hi chulett,
i need a query user defined where the query must change between a run of the job and an another. A possible solution is to define a job's parameter with the query. The size of 30 KB is because the the max size of a varchar2 variable in PL/SQL is 32 KB.

Mario

quote:Originally posted by chulett
[br]Ok, you've peaked my interest. [:)]

I don't know the answer to your question (probably depends on your o/s), but I am very curious to know in what kind of situation would you need to provide a parameter to a job that's 30kb? If you don't mind me asking...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ok, that makes sense. [:)]

Your other solution in that case would be to set the stage to "User-defined SQL query file" and provide it a pathname. Then just make sure the query in the file is what you need it to be before the job runs.

-craig