how fast is a stored procedure?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bigpoppa
Participant

how fast is a stored procedure?

Post by bigpoppa »

Product: DS Server 6.0
Server: Sun Solaris
Database: DB2

A couple of questions:

1. Can I use DataStage to call a DB2 stored procedure? I see a lot of discussion threads on Oracle stored procs, but none for DB2.

2. When doing a simple extract of a large volume of data thru DS, will it make a difference (performance-wise) whether I use a stored proc to do the extract? As opposed to using a DS-generated select?

Thanks,
BP
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

For a large volume select that can be called 'simple', I don't think you'll find much difference between a stored proc vs. a DS-generated select.

It is much more likely for large differences to be be found when performing 'complex' tasks, but I personally would recommend doing it both ways (time permitting) and time it as opposed to guessing which would be faster. There really is no rule to go by as to which is better since DB servers are typically separate from the ETL server, and thus the enviroments greatly affect which is the better method to choose.

The similar can be said for GROUP BY clauses vs. Aggregators... typically I use a mixture as opposed to just one or the other.