DataStage versions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

beanieb
Participant

DataStage versions

Post by beanieb »

Hi,

I know that a DataStage client of a lower version will not be able to logon to a DataStage server of higher version. How about a client connecting to a lower version of DataStage server?

Also for jobs developed on v5.2, will there be any problems migrating over to v6.0?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It is generally considered a Bad Idea to mix client and server versions. While sometimes you can get away with mismatching minor numbers... best advise is - don't. [:)]

And no, you shouldn't have any problems upgrading jobs from 5.2 to 6.0, it should be entirely painless.

-craig
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have had the same thing (and seen the same message with appropriate differences in the numbers) when the revisions were 5.1 client and 5.2 server, even though the actual differences between these two releases are really minor.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And then there is my situation. I just upgraded the server to 6.0.1 but am still running the client distributed with the 6.0r3 server and am having no issues. I normally wouldn't have done something like that (don't ask) and I have a call into Ascential to determine if there is *anything* changed on the client side as it is very hard for me to make that determination from the readme.

Hey, if it was just slapping a cdrom in my drive and upgrading, it would be done already. Unfortunately, all software here is distributed via a "Software Mall" and getting new releases shipped to Corporate and into Radia is a big enough PITA that I'm not gonna do it if I don't have to. [}:)]

-craig
mihai
Participant

Post by mihai »

The only thing you really need to watch out for is if you use UniVerse level reading of the metadata repository (i.e. DS_METADATA, DS_JOBS, DS_ROUTINES,DS_TRANSFORMERS etc).

The metadata repository is structured very differently between 5 and 6.

Kind regards,
Mihai

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's also very different between 4.x and 5.x, in case anyone's using 4.x and wants to do something similar.