DataStage Permission on Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

beanieb
Participant

DataStage Permission on Unix

Post by beanieb »

Hi,

My client is currently using DataStage v5.2 on Unix and I have the following questions regarding access rights.
1) Is it possible to create a unix id to administer DataStage, other than using root and dsadm? This is because my client would prefer to use the ids of their administrators, to administer the DataStage server, instead of just using dsadm to be used by all their administrators.

2) Assuming I have multiple unix ids created for multiple DataStage developers to design and develop DataStage jobs. Is it true that a user is not allowed to edit jobs created by another user? If yes, how do I allow all jobs in the project to be edited by users other than the owner of the job himself?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1) No. These uids are kinda hard-wired. Good news in the next release (7.0). I didn't tell you that. :)

2) The usual solution to this is to change the umask setting to 002, so that other members of the creator's group get write access.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
beanieb
Participant

Post by beanieb »

Sorry, I have another question...

Does DataStage defaults all user groups in Unix to DataStage developer access? If yes, will the default access change to 'no access' for all user groups in a later version? My client is concerned that if next time there is a new user group in the Unix system, they will need to change the access permission of this group to 'no access' to ensure that users in this group will not be allowed to access DataStage.
Also, could someone explain what is the purpose of the 'no access' permission?

Thanks again
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage defaults to all groups have Developer access.
No-one knows what will be in future versions, and anyone who does isn't allowed to tell. My guess is that the default will remain as it is, because this is the easiest to use.
There are three roles.
Developer can use all the client tools.
Operator can use only Director and a limited subset of Administrator functions.
No Access can not connect using any of the DataStage clients.