DataStage Documentation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bigpoppa
Participant

DataStage Documentation

Post by bigpoppa »

Hi.

Can anyone tell me the exact name of the DataStage document that describes DataStage Basic functions such as DSSetParam?

Thanks,
BP
MAT
Participant

Post by MAT »

Hi,

In the DataStage online documentation, it's called DataStage BASIC Guide (Basic.pdf). It comes with DataStage

MAT
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will find it with the DataStage client software, in a folder called Docs.
If you are running a release of DataStage 4.2 or earlier, however, you will need to download a UniVerse BASIC manual from the IBM web site.
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/u2/p ... /Basic.pdf

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

Has anyone read thru DS's BASIC guide? Is it sufficient for a novice BASIC programmer? Or should I get a different guide? Any suggestions?

- BP
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The BASIC manual is really a reference manual; it's where you go when you really have a good idea what you want to do and just want to check that you have the syntax of a statement correct, or want to know what options are available for a particular function.

For a beginner I would thoroughly recommend the Developer's help (the help you get from the Help menu in Designer or Manager clients). As well as the usual reference material, there are quite a number of "how to" topics. I suggest you find the topic "BASIC Tasks" and drool down from there.

And a big rap for Ascential for a well-produced, helpful, help file.
Among other things, it's meant that I could teach the Japanese version of DataStage in Japan even though I speak only a few words of the language.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518