parallel processing 2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pramod_au
Participant

parallel processing 2

Post by pramod_au »

Hello
If i install Datastage server say on 8 CPU unit Machine.
But i want Datastage to use only 4 processors ?
Is it Possible?
Is there any feature in datastage which can restrict the Hardware utilization ?

Regards
pramod

Pramod
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you using release 6.x of DataStage?
pramod_au
Participant

Post by pramod_au »

I am using DataStage 6.0

Pramod
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Generally speaking each DataStage job will take up about one CPU at any one time. If you restrict your sequence/batch jobs to under 4 server jobs at any one time you should leave a lot of server capacity free.

To assign processors to particular jobs you will probably need the version 6 parallel extender. Normally this is used to speed jobs up, you could use it to slow things down! It will let you spread one job across four processors for a huge performance increase or ensure that all jobs use a limited number of processors.

The cheaper option is to run some tests running from 1 to 5 jobs at once, monitor the CPU usage and then work out what your upper limit is for preventing machine hogging.

Does Ascential charge for the number of processors on a server? If so what happens when you try to load a 4 processor license onto an 8 processor machine.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

By the way, my knowledge of Unix administration functions is pretty woeful. Be interested to know if my theory works!

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
mihai
Participant

Post by mihai »

quote:Originally posted by vmcburney
Does Ascential charge for the number of processors on a server? If so what happens when you try to load a 4 processor license onto an 8 processor machine.

No. Ascential licenses the number of developers. The hardware infrastructure plays no part in this.

Kind regards,
Mihai

Post by kjanes »

A few things to mention:

1) if you use a feature like "Inter Process Row Buffering" a single job can spawn parallel processes and consume multiple CPU's (on AIX). This depends on whether your job uses Hash tables (I think, it has been a while). I have had a single job consume 8 CPU's at once using inter-process row buffering.

2) I am not sure if the CPU Count property under the DataStage Administration panel can be used to limit the number of CPU's that will be utilized or if is is simply just part of the licensing.

3) We have 8 cpu's on our box and are looking at limiting DataStage to only 4 cpu's using load balancing/aix administrative software.

Kevin Janes