question about DS XE/390

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

easwaran
Participant

question about DS XE/390

Post by easwaran »

I am new to XE/390. I like to understand how XE/390 is configured to extract data from Mainframe IBM VSAM databse and Mainframe DB2 and load to Oracle 8.17 database.

1. as per my understaning the document describes that create a job in mainframe module of designer. generate JCL, cobol files and upload to mainframe and run it in mainframe. Does it mean the complete control is in mainframe , not from DS director.
2. If the job is run on mainframe, will it load the data directly to oracle target database.If not what is the out put. is it only flat files???.. to be FTP to the oracle stageing and againg load to target oracle database on unix..
Appreciate if you can help.. thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's basically it. DataStage creates COBOL, and JCL for both compile and run, and these are sent to the mainframe where extraction can be performed and sent back to the machine on which the DataStage server is running (typically via FTP). An active FTP connection is used to upload jobs if command processing is required (this is the default), or a passive FTP connection can be used, for example if a firewall exists that prevents inbound communication.
Get a copy of the DataStage XE/390 white paper from Ascential, which explains the mechanism in non-technical language. For a more technical exposition, read the DataStage/390 Job Developer's Guide which is on your client installation, in the docs folder. The best learning experience can be had by creating mainframe jobs, and inspecting the files that are created.
Ascential does provide a DS/390 class, though this is not scheduled all that often.

Edited by - ray.wurlod on 12/30/2002 15:37:48