error in dlopen of sybaseoc.so

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Zinna
Participant

error in dlopen of sybaseoc.so

Post by Zinna »

Help appreciated!

I have upgraded to Datastage Version 6! Unix(2.5) and Sybase (12.5)!! I am getting the following error when validating a job with Sybase stage...

------------------------------------------------------------------
ds_loadlibrary: error in dlopen of sybaseoc.so - ld.so.1: phantom: fatal: libtli.so: open failed: No such file or directory
------------------------------------------------------------------

What am I missing in the environment setup?

Thanks,
Zinna
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That message usually comes from either LD_LIBRARY_PATH not including the directory in which sybaseoc.so resides, or that you have not executed the relink.uvlibs utility to allow DataStage to "know" where the ODBC library is.
A good plan is to ensure that LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is set in the dsenv file, so that every DataStage process gets it set correctly. However, relink.uvlibs only need be done once. (This may be called relink.dslibs at DataStage 6.0 - I have not seen a UNIX version of DS 6 yet.)
These may have been correctly set on your previous version, and lost during the upgrade. If you can access the old version (restore to somewhere convenient), this may help you to determine the settings you used to have.

Edited by - ray.wurlod on 12/04/2002 02:06:42
Zinna
Participant

Post by Zinna »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments. It led me to investigate all the path names, links etc... In conclusion, the sybaseoc.so calls libtli.so, which has been renamed to libtli.so.12.5.0 in sybase version 12.5!!!! I have emailed support for their recommendation (upgrade?).

Have you encountered this before? Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Zinna
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have encountered something much worse but along similar lines. When Hewlett-Packard released HP-UX 11.0, they had moved the system libraries to a new location, which broke just about every piece of software that ran on HP-UX (including DataStage engine)!
You might create a symbolic link libtli.so which points to the new library libtli.so.12.5.0 as a quick workaround.
Really, it's not Ascential's problem if a vendor changes the name or location of a library. In this case, you really had to ask Sybase why they changed the name (is there a good reason?) and whether it's OK/safe to rename it because the change has broken other software.

Edited by - ray.wurlod on 12/04/2002 23:56:27