DataStage XE/390 Questions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

DataStage XE/390 Questions

Post by ray.wurlod »

The following was sent to my personal email address. Given that being a DataStage trainer/consultant is how I make my living, I am more than happy to provide my services on a commercial basis, but the poster seems not to require that.

Dear Roy,

Got your mail id from tools4datastage.com.
Could you answer the foll questions please ?

1. Is it possible to rollback a set of jobs when after some jobs
are executed, if the latest job fails?
2. Could DS generate data dictionary of source database and
target database ?
3. What are the various reports that could be generated using
this tool ?
4. Could DS show record length, total db size for source and
target based on existing source data to arrive at target
database sizing?
5. Does DS support data scrambling?
6. Compare ETL features of DS with that of its competitors ?
Chart is essential.
7. Does DS generate Audit Trail?
8. What other reports could DS provide apart from Impact Analysis
Document ? Is customizable reporting feature available?
9. Could DS generate test cases to verify the veracity of mapping
etc at design time to validate the mapping and transforms?
10. PL give complete write up as a case study of Florida State Job?
11. Is there any mechanism available in Transformer Stage to show
the left out and un mapped fields from source and target
stages?
12. How are precision, length, interchangeability of comma and dot
are handled in German environment?
13. Could DS handle object relational database table structures?
14. Does Meta Data export of Copy book and that data in the same
available in DS ?
15. How is data compression handled in DS ?

Regards
D.Amaruvi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. Yes, if you design it that way.
2. No. DataStage is an ETL tool. However, it can dump/export table definitions in various formats (for example CSV, IMF, XML) so that CASE tools and the like can perform this task.
3. DataStage is an ETL tool, not a reporting tool. Its Reporting Assistant can generate reports about design metadata. Process metadata can be extracted in various ways, for example to MetaStage automatically, for subsequent reporting. The Director client is the only one that has any form of reporting, though the Designer can print a picture of the job design.
4. You could get it to do so, but it's not really the purpose or function of an ETL tool.
5. DataStage performs general (generic?) transformation. Again, it's a matter of your design. You could introduce data scrambling routines as part of the Transformation process.
6. That answer will definitely cost you money!
7. Yes. It's in a table called DS_AUDIT.
8. DataStage is not, in an of itself, a reporting tool. See answer to number 3 above. MetaStage has some additional reporting facilities.
9. DataStage Routines include the ability to test, though you have to provide the test values.
10. That answer will definitely cost you money!
11. There could be, if you design that way. Most designers select the minimal number of columns concomitant with performing the task at hand, in a search for optimal throughput performance.
12. DataStage supports many different locales. This is one way. DataStage, internally, does not have data types, so manipulating substrings could also be used to provide custom decimal placeholders, thousands delimiters, currency symbols, AM/PM designators, and so on.
13. As shipped, no. DataStage operates a row at a time. However, a plug-in stage could be created to unpack object relational structures into rows and feed them into DataStage. There is a published API for writing plug-in stages.
14. The question ("Does Meta Data export of Copy book and that data in the same available in DS ?") does not make sense to me. If you are asking whether DataStage can obtain metadata from a COBOL Copy Book, the answer is yes.
15. DataStage does not work with compressed data. Typically data in compressed form is decompressed on input to DataStage, and can be compressed on output if desired. However, since most DataStage jobs involve updating databases, compression doesn't enter into consideration.

Edited by - ray.wurlod on 11/28/2002 21:11:38