DataStage 6.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeredleo
Participant

DataStage 6.0

Post by jeredleo »

Has anyone had any problems with the dataStage 6.0 release? Trying to upgrade or just normal use?

Thanks,
JB
DCS
Participant

Post by DCS »

JB, Most of the folks we have seen who have installed 5 or below, haven't made the migration to release 6 yet. Most folks that are brand new, are installing 6 for the first time without problems. Since our team develops on the latest version to keep our Version Control and Parameter Management code up to date, we haven't had any issues with the new releases. (Ascential is actually trying very hard to make sure newer releases are 'happier' to existing users.} The only problem that always bugs us is that you must upgrade/downgrade your client to match the current engine. It would be nice if someday one top end client could talk to multiple version of the engine at once.
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

We just upgraded from 5.1 to 6. The upgrade was painless for us because we are used to the process. We are running on AIX. I am very happy with DataStage v6 and feel it was worth the upgrade. I have a few open cases with Ascential pertaining to the Row Buffering feature that is new to v6.

Row Buffering is a feature that can speed up your jobs with not too much overhead. We are exploiting that feature as much as possible but have run into a few quirks.

Kevin Janes
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

I also agree that new releases of the client should be able to talk to older server versions. We have develoment and production boxes and if the two do not get upgraded at the same time (which is not easy to do sometimes) then there can be development/testing issues because of the different versions. It is annoying.

Kevin Janes
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

Thanks all for the input.

JB