Link TableDef to a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Geppo
Participant

Link TableDef to a job

Post by Geppo »

Do U know how can i link a Table Definition to a Job, without loading the column in the definition of an OCI.
Thanks
Geppo
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Hi,

If you know the table definitions then you can go and enter the column names and data types in the stage.

Thanks
rasi
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't think this answers his question. I'm assuming Geppo is asking for a way to get Table Definitions associated with a job without actually loading them into the job in order to make use of them as part of the "Usage Analysis" feature of the Manager. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to do that after the fact - which I'm guessing is the issue. They get 'lost' when jobs get renamed or even moved to another Category and it would be nice if there was a simple way to get them back.

-craig
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Table definitions (or, more properly, collections of column definitions) within job designs are almost totally independent of the repository-based table definitions from which they may have originally been loaded. Remember that you don't have to use all columns of a table definition when you load it, and that you can save the changed definition back into the repository.
It follows that to try to link a table definition in a job (stage) to a table definition in the repository is not, in general, a "reasonable" thing to want to do, which is why it is so difficult.
Of course it can be done by inspection, but this is a non-trivial task.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, but let us reopen this year+ old thread, shall we? I've just run into a situation where I'd really like to 'hook things back up' and I'm still interested to see the level of pain required to make this happen...

I've inherited a project where the Table Definitions as stored in the Manager are in one hell of a messed up state. There's no rhyme or reason as to where people put things when they imported them and who knows what is or is not used. I'd really like to go in there and clean house, but the act of moving them around into more respectable living quarters will break their link back to the job that is using them.

Recognizing the fact that, as Ray mentioned, you don't have to use all of a table definition and the definitions can become outdated, but going counter to his assertation that it is not a reasonable thing to want to do - is there any way to reestablish that link once broken such that the "Usage Analysis" feature of the Manager becomes useful again? I thought about an export / import of the project and the "Perform Usage Analysis" check box, but from reading the docs I get the impression it is more of an attempt to keep you from messing things up worse than for fixing anything. Any idea what exactly this option does?

Is there any recourse here or am I just out of luck without going to something like MetaStage? And would that really tell me what tables and/or hash files are used in what jobs?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers