Solaris to AIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vbalacts
Participant

Solaris to AIX

Post by vbalacts »

Hi All,

Is it possible to move the entire projects from Unix (solaris) to AIX platform or Vice versa??? Will all the routines and mappings work without creating any problems???

Because in Informatica, some of the functions will not work when we changed the platform. Is it so in DataStage???

Please help me in this soon.

Thanks
Bala
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, with a caveat. I've moved entire projects in the past from HP/UX to Tru64 and everything went very smoothly. What you need to be aware of are operating system dependant things that you are doing, be it scripts you are calling, or Unix commands that are coded into your job control, etc. These can require some tweaking after migrating the project, unless they have been written to be O/S aware.

Don't know what others experience may have been, but mine was rather painless. I'm assuming here that your target database hasn't changed, only your server environment. Also, I wasn't using ODBC (we use OCI) and I can see where that might throw a wrinkle or two into the picture.

HTH

-craig
vbalacts
Participant

Post by vbalacts »

Can you please elaborate???

Assume I am not using any OS level commands (ExecSh and ExecDOS), then there wont be any problem in migration right????

Suppose, If I use ODBC stage, then what needs to be done to work for new environment???

Anyone please help me on this.

Thanks,
Bala
Yes, with a caveat. I've moved entire projects in the past from HP/UX to Tru64 and everything went very smoothly. What you need to be aware of are operating system dependant things that you are doing, be it scripts you are calling, or Unix commands that are coded into your job control, etc. These can require some tweaking after migrating the project, unless they have been written to be O/S aware.

Don't know what others experience may have been, but mine was rather painless. I'm assuming here that your target database hasn't changed, only your server environment. Also, I wasn't using ODBC (we use OCI) and I can see where that might throw a wrinkle or two into the picture.

HTH

-craig
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You set up the ODBC drivers in the same way on all UNIX systems. The only difference is that the name of the shared library environment variable is different on different systems; for example SHLIB_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Other than that, export from your old system, import into your new system, import at least one ODBC table definition (this updates the uvodbc.config file in your project account) and you're off and running.