Job API

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kww
Participant

Job API

Post by kww »

Has anyone written any utilities to change stage passwords (parameters used) in DataStage with the Job API? Our shop has a requirement to change database logins every 45 days. Thanks for any input.
vbalacts
Participant

Post by vbalacts »

Hi,
You can store the passwords and other parameter values in a flat file and Create a Batch job to read the values from this Flat file and pass it as parameters for ur jobs.

Hope this will help

Thanks
Bala
kww
Participant

Post by kww »

Thanks for the reply. I have done the flat file thing in the past. In my experience that requires that I have a wrapper job that calls the job. Too many jobs to deal with. In the mean time I have written an excel addin that helps me manage parameters. Looking at the parameter manager product but won't have the budget until next year. Looks like I have a solution for now.

Thanks
Hi,
You can store the passwords and other parameter values in a flat file and Create a Batch job to read the values from this Flat file and pass it as parameters for ur jobs.

Hope this will help

Thanks
Bala
vbalacts
Participant

Post by vbalacts »

Hi,
How can we use Excel to read the parameters?? Suppose, I have 5 jobs and all the jobs has to read the parameters from Excel, then how to implement that? If I want to pass the parameter for the OCI plugin (user name, pass word and DB) from Excel, how to do that?

Thanks,
Bala
kww
Participant

Post by kww »

You use the com objects (c++ or vb) provided in the job api. I just use excel and it's forms as a front end to manage the parameters. Parameter values are not stored in the job executable. I can open the job, change values for parameters, and save the job without compiling it using the api ********* Sorry, you do have to compile the job in order for the new parameter to take affect. Otherwise it will take affect on next compile**********. In my case Excel isn't passing anything to datastage. I'm using excel as a means to change values before the jobs run (mass updates).

Looks like what your doing would be better handled with a parameter flat file that datastage can read from.

Edited by - kww on 08/15/2002 15:05:40
rwolancz
Participant

Post by rwolancz »

kww, In our app the batch script reads the password from a file and passes it to dsjob (using -param ...). But looks like you solved your problem anyway.

While on that, may I ask you if you used API from DS 5.2? It looks like object model has changed there. If so, do you have any docs on that?

Thanks,
Robert
nilotpalr
Participant

Post by nilotpalr »

Hi All,
I would like to know how do I write Job APIs. Is there any documentation of these APIs. Can I invoke these APIs from subroutines.

Thanks and Regards,
Nilotpal.
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Have you ever checked if your e-mail is right?
Hi All,
I would like to know how do I write Job APIs. Is there any documentation of these APIs. Can I invoke these APIs from subroutines.

Thanks and Regards,
Nilotpal.

WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Have you ever checked if your e-mail is right?
Hi All,

Thanks and Regards,
Nilotpal.

kww
Participant

Post by kww »

I should have researched this before. It appears the jobapi.dll is not shipped with 5.2! Hmm? I'm upgrading from 4.2 to 5.2 and now realize my parameter programs aren't going to work.

Does anyone know why they removed the dll? I've opened a ticket to see where the functionality can be achieved.

I see one of thier dll's has almost everything except the encryption objects. Does anyone know where the old crypt objects are?
csimms
Participant

Post by csimms »

Hello,

I also talked with Ascential's DataStage support. The job API is not shipped with version 5 and will not be shipped with version 6. Also, there are no future plans to make it available for either version.
As an alternative, is it possible to make use of Universe's InterCall API when wanting to make certain modifications to DataStage jobs via project file manipulation?

Chris Simms

Senior Systems Engineer
Extended Technologies Corporation
9708 Skillman Road
Dallas, TX 75243
csimms@xtekcorp.com
www.xtekcorp.com
214-540-4108 (Desk)
214-540-4000 (Front Desk)
214-540-4004 (Fax)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes it is possible to use InterCall API, but you may find it easier to use UniObjects (the same interface that DataStage clients use, and which is built on top of InterCall).
However, you would need to develop some knowledge of the DataStage repository structure, or the helper subroutines that DataStage uses (you can see these when server side tracing is enabled). Or you can write your own back-end BASIC subroutines.
UniObjects can expose objects either through an ActiveX control (uvoaif.ocx) or as a set of Java classes.