Versioning

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeredleo
Participant

Versioning

Post by jeredleo »

Can anyone provide some good documentation on versioning and migrating jobs from Test to System test to Production environments on different servers. I have DS 5.2 and I understand how to 'release' a job and also how to package and install the 'released' jobs, but when going between environments it keeps the folder name('category') that it was originally saved in and that is not what I want to end up with in the production environment. I also don't want the original creation of the job to be left in the Test environment so developers don't mess it up so I want to implement some sort of 'checkout' process. Unfortunately you cannot 'checkout' a released job because it will not let me change or even do a 'save as' on the job. Which means I would need to export the original job and import it into Production, but the export function does not allow to select jobs from multiple folders. Does anyone have a solution, guidlines, or you have a good process in place to accomplish this 'environment' process problem. Please let me know.

Thanks,
JB
Starg
Participant

Post by Starg »

Have you looked at the versioning tool? It does not have a check-in/checkout functionality but and it does not stop developers from changing jobs in the development environment. But the VERSION project that is created contains all initialised & promoted jobs and therefore can be used to ensure jobs are valid.

Our process is simple (although we only have a small team). We use three project (4 inc VERSION). Development, Acceptance & Production. Developers only have access to the development project. Once they have finished and a unit test is completed it gets initialised into the VERSION project and promoted to the acceptance environment. Once that test has been completed and signed off the same batch gets promoted to production.

It works great for us..hope it gives you some ideas.

Starg
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

Thanks, do you export the original job and import it into production?

JB