Custom Reports

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

manavkumarm
Participant

Custom Reports

Post by manavkumarm »

In the documentation tool in version 6.0 of DataStage, I see a button called 'Custom Reports', but clicking this brings up an empty list. I could not find any mention in the help of how one can add customized reports to this list. Can anyone throw any light on how I can do this?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

manavkumarm

The Reporting Assitant is really difficult to use. It has all the information about the jobs except for job sequences. The information is scattered over several tables within doc_tool.mdb. A Custom Report is just an Access report. They include one and it has everything in it. One job can print 10 pages. You can modify this report. I would suggest saving with a new name. My reports just print the job name, long description and table names read and table names written to. This is one or 2 pages per job. In the Access report writer you can run a report and save as a file. You can load this into Microsoft Word and save as html. This makes for fairly good documentation. You need to present this in job sequence order then you have a good starting point for your final documentation.

I have a product called DwNav which helps you browse this data. If you have new people to a project or a lot of jobs then you need to find which job updates a specific target table. DwNav shows you exactly which job updates this table and if you drill down into that job you can see all the jobs which built every hash or sequetial file that this specific job uses. So you can trace from job to job all the way back to the source job. You can also go from source to target jobs. As you are looking at the tables or hash files or sequential files that a job reads or writes to then it also shows all the jobs that reads and writes to the same table or files. Once you have found what you need to change then you can jump straight into Designer from DwNav on that specific job. Saves tons of time.

Drill down for tables:
Project
-> Job Metadata
-> Stage type and "In" or "Out"
-> hash, sequential or table name
-> jobs which read or write based on "In" or "Out"

Drill down for jobs:
Project
-> Jobs
-> Stage type and "In" or "Out"
-> table/file names
-> link names
-> Dependent jobs which do opposite of the "In" or "Out"

DwNav will pay for itself very fast. May use MetaStage data in the next release. I also want to automate job differences from one release to the next. Thinking about doing this on the web so you can buy it as a service. If you post it to a web service then you could hire Ray or Ken to review your work. They could review it remotely and make suggestions. Any consulting service with a world wide presence needs tools like DwNav and DsWebMon besides I want to work from home. I hate airports.

Shameless plug.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DsWebMon - Monitor DataStage over the web
www.Duke-Consulting.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I get some of my best work done on long haul flights, away from the distractions of home. [;)]
It makes the time I do have at home much more valuable, too. I get home about one week per quarter.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Rsy

What? Ray has lost it. LOL.

Kim.

Kim Duke
www.Duke-Consulting.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Next week's the week.
Congratulations on reaching 300 posts before the new site kicks in.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Thanks Ray. I am only a little less than 1,000 behind you. Better look out.

Kim.

Kim Duke
www.Duke-Consulting.com
manavkumarm
Participant

Post by manavkumarm »

When I browse to the Doc_tool.mdb file and double-click on this, I get the same interface as the Documentation Tool Report configuration on Data Manager. Is there any place I can actually look at the behind-the-scenes Access database and reports?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

manavkumarm

If you hold down shift when you open the database.

Kim.

Kim Duke
www.Duke-Consulting.com