Backup/Restore problems

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Optico
Participant

Backup/Restore problems

Post by Optico »

Hi all you experts [:)]

I have a problem doing backup/restore using uvbackup/uvrestore that I hope you guys can help me with.

The system is v.5.1 and is running on W2K (both server and client).

The uvbackup is fine. I get a very nice backup image, but when I get to the restore part the project is 'destroyed' rather than restored.

If I restore to another project with the -U switch (overwrite) everything works fine if I just compile all routines, but when I try to restore back to where the backup came from I don't get any usefull results. Without the -U switch nothing is restored because the project files are 'newer or same age' as the backup. With the -U switch (which means the whole project is restored back to the backup time) I get the following messages :
mkdbfile: cannot create file C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_DATATYPES
mkdbfile: cannot create file C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_JOBOBJECTS
mkdbfile: cannot create file C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_JOBS
mkdbfile: cannot create file C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_METADATA
mkdbfile: cannot create file C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_RESENU
mkdbfile: cannot create file C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_STAGETYPES
mkdbfile: cannot create file C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_TEMP1

Unfortunately the restore process has deleted the files but cannot recreate them - leaving a totally corrupt project. [:(!]

I really hope somebody out there can help with this one.

B. Sorensen,
Optico IT ApS
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Sorry, but don't use it. You're best solution is daily end-of-day automated exports of your development projects. Store your production source code (jobs as individual .dsx files, shell scripts, control files, etc) in a true version control software (PVCS, etc). Don't rely on OS level backups except for configuration-only restores. Still use the version control software for re-application to a production environment, and the daily exports for re-application to development. If you need to get a job back, the daily export is the only feasible way. An OS or UV backup can't meet that need.

Kenneth Bland
Optico
Participant

Post by Optico »

Hi Ken.

Thanks for your reply.

I was afraid it would end up like that.

I have tried to search the forum for automated exports but haven't been able to find out how to do automated exports of individual jobs?

So far I've only been able to do a command line export of the entire project and as my client is on V.5.1 it ends with an overflow error as the export becomes too big.

Do you know of a way to export individual jobs from the command line?

To add to my problems I've only got 4 more work days (6 counting the weekend) to get the automated backup/restore up and running as our contract expires on 30th September.

B. Sorensen,
Optico IT ApS
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

No, I'm afraid I don't know of a means to individually export jobs from the command line. If so, I would have integrated it with PVCS so that PVCS could automatically fetch/put jobs between projects and it's internal repository. Our only solution is a full project export, then a perl script that explodes the dsx file into individual components (jobs, functions, table definitions) etc.

Kenneth Bland
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're certain that you have a good backup, and your project has been destroyed, try deleting the entire project directory then restoring. Let us know whether this works.
There are a lot of tricks involved with restoring DataStage projects, particularly if it's not to the same location; various repairs need to be made to indexes and system tables. Once the legal niceties with Ascential are sorted out, a white paper on this topic will be published on DSXChange.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Optico
Participant

Post by Optico »

Hi Ray,

I'm not worried about deleting the entire project as it's only used for backup/restore testing.

I can easily use normal explorer copying. That works fine.

But if I delete the project and then run the uvrestore I get the following error messages and still not a working project :

WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_DATATYPES'.
Parent directory does not exist or privileges are not sufficient
for creating path to file. File not restored.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_JOBOBJECTS'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_JOBS'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_METADATA'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_RESENU'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_STAGETYPES'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/DS_TEMP1'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_&COMO&'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_&PH&'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_&SAVEDLISTS&'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DS.GETINFO.DEFAULTS'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DSD_BP.O'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DSG_BP.O'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DSU_BP'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DSU_BP.O'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DS_AUDIT'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DS_CONTAINERS'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DS_DATATYPES'.
WARNING: Error encountered creating file 'C:/Ascential/Datastage/Projects/Test/D_DS_JOB'.

If I try to backup project A and then restore to project B then backup project B and restore it to project A then everything's fine.

If however i delete the two projects after the backups I cannot restore either of the two. It looks like the uvrestore command actually depends on the library structure of the original backup to be able to do anything - and then only to a different project.

B. Sorensen,
Optico IT ApS
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Optico

The problem is in that some of DataStage files at the OS level start with "." or "&" and operating systems do not like these files. Some backup commands either igonore these files or restore them wrong. Try a different program to backup and restore with.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DsWebMon - Monitor DataStage over the web
www.Duke-Consulting.com
Optico
Participant

Post by Optico »

Hey Kim,

I'm afraid that's not quite true in this case.

As I stated earlier in this thread : When I do a restore to a different project than that from which the backup is taken, everything works just fine.

Even if I delete the (new) project completely before running the restore.

All I have to do after such a restore is to compile the routines and all the jobs (that I have tested) runs fine.

Anyway. We have decided completely against using uvbackup/uvrestore. [xx(]

Thankyou for your contributions.

B. Sorensen,
Optico IT ApS