DataStage Job Remote Invocation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kdronam
Participant

DataStage Job Remote Invocation

Post by kdronam »

I have a requirement to invoke a DataStage job from a remote host
on-demand from a client application instead of the usual scheduled manner on the ETL Host.

We currently schedule ETL jobs with Shell scripts which in turn call the utility "dsjob". Is there a way I could do thta, is there a thin client version of dsjob which I could install on the Remote host and supply the Hostname, userid password to it for my ETL Job to run.

Please help or suggest. Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Most operating systems have some form of remote execution (rexec) or remote shell (rsh, but beware that this may also be "restricted shell") or other method of causing remote execution. On Windows platforms you can use AT and specify the other machine name.
You then don't need dsjob or any other DataStage software on your initiating machine.
Also check out Kim Duke's DwNav, which allows you to initiate DataStage jobs from a browser. Check it out at www.datastagexchange.com or at www.Duke-Consulting.com.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray

Thanks for the plug but DsWebMon is the web front end. DwNav is a different product. Any way you do this the server engine needs to be in the same place. Remote execute is the best solution. There is a dsjob on the client. It will execute the job on the server. Licensing is the issue. All you need is the DIrector side. I think you can have a lot more of those. Ask Ray. They change it on every version.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DwNav - ETL Navigator
www.Duke-Consulting.com
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Yes there is a way,
consult the "DataStage development kit" chapter in the servjdev.pdf that comes with the DataStage Client CD. It runs perfectly well from any application that can use C/C++ code on windows platform. Be aware that the 2 required dll's are dsclnt32.dll and dsrpc32.dll and not as mentioned in the pdf.
It works for me as a thin client for a W2K DS server I believe it'll work with a DS unix server too.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

kdronam

I have been thinking about your problem. If you are talking about a Windows client then you need to use DsObjects. You can access DataStage using C++, Java, VB, Delphi or any number of languages. I personally I have used 3 of the four mentioned here and probably others I forgot. DsObjects is just like UniObjects to read and write to Universe. You can download documentation from IBM. Do a search on this site. Many topics related to this. If you cannot find it then let me know. I can give you code examples on Java, VB and Delphi. DwNav is primarily written in VB. DsWebMon is written primarily in Delphi. Both products execute TCL commands and call processes loaded on the server which is not necessary in your case. There are other ways to accomplish what you want without DsObjects but how much time to want to spend to develop this?

If you tell us what you want then some of us can do it for a price. I think some of us can do it remotely at a lot less expensive than you inventing it yourself. If it was me and I wanted tight integration to a real time application then I would write the hooks straight into the app. We can help you do it. Most of us get paid to do this kind of work because there are no canned solutions except dsjob.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DwNav - ETL Navigator
www.Duke-Consulting.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Curiously, perhaps, dsjob began life as the demonstration of how to use the DataStage API! Full source for dsjob (in C) is in the Server Job Developer's Guide.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518