Importing table defifintions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

johnno
Participant

Importing table defifintions

Post by johnno »

DS Version 6, Windows 2000

I have been importing an ODBC table definitions via the DS Manager functionality. I seem to get different column formats then what our Oracle developers say is there (e.g. I retrieve decimal formats for fields they say are numeric and timestamp for fileds they say are date).

My question is: when you use DS Manager to import ODBC table definitions from an Oracle table, should you expect these definition to come directly from the Oracle database? Can anyone think of any reason why the DS manager would alter any field formats?

As usual, any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
John
johnno
Participant

Post by johnno »

Thanks very much Amos
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you appreciate that ODBC is, more than anything, a set of standards, you begin to accept what it does. If you connect to Oracle via ODBC, then it is the ODBC driver that converts from the exposed data type (e.g. Decimal or TimeStamp, which ODBC-compliant drivers use) to the actual data type (e.g. Numeric or Date).
ODBC tries to be all things to all databases. Oracle, despite its huge market share, is the least standard of the major database products.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

quote:Originally posted by Johnno
[br]DS Version 6, Windows 2000

My question is: when you use DS Manager to import ODBC table definitions from an Oracle table, should you expect these definition to come directly from the Oracle database? Can anyone think of any reason why the DS manager would alter any field formats?

Ray said it best, but I also wish to add that this is a well known issue when it comes to PX for 6.0, and should be addressed just like Server for Twister. For example -- Server happily accept Decimal[38,0] for a number field of an undefined length. PX, however, demands that it is set as [38,10].

We did get a patch for 6.0.1 (I believe it's 6.0.1x3) that would allow you to correctly import and update PX jobs without manually updating those fields. If you have an Ascential Support license and use PX, contact Support and grab that patch.

-T.J.

... now if this can make breakfast, my life is complete.