Reading Job Paramters from a common parameter file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prashanto_dev
Participant

Reading Job Paramters from a common parameter file

Post by prashanto_dev »

Anyone can tell me please how to read parameters for multiple jobs from a single common parameter file.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
the "popular" way to do this:

write a batch job which will use openseq/readseq to read the file and run the jobs you need ( in the basic.pdf ,client documentation, file you can find the syntax ).

I think a search here will provide more insight.

If you need more help please post another follow up.

Good Luck,

Roy R.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

quote:Originally posted by prashanto_dev
[br]Anyone can tell me please how to read parameters for multiple jobs from a single common parameter file.

You can also run an external shell script that would run the jobs using dsjob, and pull the parameters from the file.

-T.J.

... now if this can make breakfast, my life is complete.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yeah, you could, but why would you? The sequential I/O statements in DataStage BASIC are easy to understand, and sample code has been posted right on this site, so you don't have to go outside your DataStage environment. If you run a shell script you still have to parse its output, not to mention carrying the overhead of starting another DataStage job and waiting for it to finish.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

quote:Originally posted by Ray.Wurlod
[br]Yeah, you could, but why would you? The sequential I/O statements in DataStage BASIC are easy to understand, and sample code has been posted right on this site, so you don't have to go outside your DataStage environment.

Well, I am coming from an PX environment, and I have not touched BASIC at all (even in my brief foray onto Server jobs.) Plus we already use a third-party tool to schedule jobs on the production box, and we have specific logging requirements (start of job, end of job, et cetera) on the Oracle table.

So yeah, I suppose we could use a BASIC script for just parameter reading. Perhaps we will for Twister (if the integration is as tightly as I hoped it would be.)

-T.J.

... now if this can make breakfast, my life is complete.