question for DS 390

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tini
Participant

question for DS 390

Post by tini »

Does everybody know when do we want to use DS 390 job instead of DS server job?
Thanks

Thank you
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... basically, when you want the job to run directly on the mainframe and (typically) send you data, rather than running a job on your Unix/NT server and waiting for data to be sent. Of course, the server job could reach over and get data from the mainframe after something else extracts it, but you get my drift.

-craig
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Hi,

DS390 is the perfect solution for "heavy duty" DWH/CRM/ERP projects that are dependent on Mainframe legacy data. Indeed you can use only server job (DSDB2 stage,ODBC using gateway techtologies like IWAY etc..) but your performance will depend mostly on net cpacity. You can be a little bit more sophisticated and use the above stages to write stored procedures that land the files on the Mainframe disk (A better solution is SAN)and move those files to NT/Unix.
However from my experience (4 huge DWH projects - DB2,VSAM,QSAM and even ADABAS)DS390 is still the best solution.
You can combine MF user-written routines (usually very complicated)that otherwise will have to be re-programmed in your 'open' environment. Your extraction programs will be amazingly robust (MF is a very powerfull machine - unparalled to unix/nt). You can control the whole aspects of such a project not like the MF people will write the COBOL and give us the Unix poeple the files and we'll carry on from that point ....
I do believe the Ascential guys will give you a lot more reasons to use DS390.
You can see also some sort of architechture hits at
http://www.tools4datastage.com/forum/to ... C_ID=84184

Good luck
tini
Participant

Post by tini »

thanks

Thank you