job parameter

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lucianopolinari
Participant

job parameter

Post by lucianopolinari »

Hello ! my problem is:
I have a job mainframe who uses transformer and ect. Now I should create another job very similar to the first, the only different thing is the input file, so it is possible to pass a job parameter with the DDNAME input file ????

Thank you
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Certainly it is possible. Just create the job with a parameter (DDName is a good parameter name), and supply the appropriate value. The following text comes from the help for the Complex Flat File stage (which is a fairly typical extraction stage type). The value you supply for the parameter (whether manually or from a job control/sequencer) has to conform to these rules.

DD name

A unique identifier generated by DataStage. Provides the DDNAME in the generated JCL file. This is the symbolic name of the file being read. It can be 1 to 8 alphanumeric characters; the first character must be alphabetic.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

The DDNAME cannot be a parameter - it's a decleration INSIDE the COBOL source !
The real file name (above the DDNAME in the file stage) cannot be a parameter also - it must be equated to the DDNAME in the Run JCL. however you can try and put the file names in such a way that the MF batch monitor (most of MF sites use it - you know ca,bmc,etc.) will substitute it for the real file name at run time.
DS390 jobs can't use parameters like server jobs !
The way it useses parameters is via another file - and it's a very limited use !