PX performance statistics

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MAT
Participant

PX performance statistics

Post by MAT »

Hi,

As anybody tried to obtain stats from Parallel extender? When I check show performance statistics in designer, I always get zeros everywhere. The same happens while using the function DSGetLinkInfo() asking for row count (zeros all the way). I know for sure that there are records being transfered from seing the files and in the job log. Got any clues? All these functionalities work well with Server but not with PX or what?

Regards

MAT
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

MAT,
I have seen PX generate statistics thru the graphical monitor, but I have never tried using the GetLinkInfo command. The behavior you have described sounds like a bug.

If you need to get the # of records in a PX dataset, you can run the following command in the post-processing of your job:

dsrecords xxxx.ds

The command 'dsrecords' will give you the entire # of records in a dataset. Note that this is not partition information.

Is this the kind of info you are looking for?
MAT
Participant

Post by MAT »

Thanks BP,

I thought it might be a bug too so I contacted Ascential on this and they are investigating the case. Meanwhile, what you are saying about post processing interests me. I am still a newbie with PX. Could you tell me more about dsrecords? Where should I enter it? I can't find a reference for it in PX developer's guide.

Regards

MAT
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

MAT,

'dsrecords' is a PX utility. Another useful utility is 'orchadmin'. If your env vars are set up properly, you should be able run the 'osh' command from the command line. If you can run that command, then you can run 'orchadmin' and 'dsrecords'.

By running 'orchadmin', you will see a list of all of the options to it. You can use the command to view statistics and metadata for PX datasets.

I don't see any documentation for any of these commands. If you can't get the above commands to work, please let me know. I will try to walk you thru it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A small amount of arcane (and, alas, unhelpful) knowledge.
The "orch" of orchadmin comes from the product name Orchestrate, which is the parallel technology Ascential acquired with its purchase of Torrent.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518