Advantage of OCI9 over OCI8

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badhri
Participant

Advantage of OCI9 over OCI8

Post by badhri »

Greetings,

We just migrated from Oracle 8i to Oracle 9 and are planning to migrate to DataStage 6 in a couple of months from now.

I'm looking to learn more on the additional funtionalities from OCI9 plugin when compared to OCI8.

Your replies will be valued.

Thanks,
Badhri ...
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

As you can tell from the deafening silence no one knows what has changed from OCI8 to OCI9. There is no mention of any changes in the DataStage documentation. Perhaps if you trawled through the Oracle web site there may be something.

I believe the DataStage 6 OCI is an improvement over the DataStage 5 version, it has a query builder!

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I concur with Vincent - at this point there seems to be ZERO difference in functionality between the two. I'm guessing it was just to have a 9i plugin and would think that at some point the differences would be begin to show up. So for now don't be in a rush to upgrade all of your jobs. [:D] The OCI8 stage and an 8i client will work with your 9i databases just fine.

Much to my chagrin, we've discovered we can't even *use* the 9i plugin on our platform (Tru64) as it doesn't support a 64 bit client. Yet.

-craig
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Have a look at the OCI page on the Oracle web site:
http://otn.oracle.com/tech/oci/content.html

It has some good stuff including information on the backwards compatibility of 9i OCI against version 7 and 8 databases. There is a FAQ and a list of new features in 9i OCI.

The new features listed for 9i include scrollable cursors, connection pooling and improved globalisation support for multi byte character sets.

I have no idea whether any 9i OCI enhancements can be used from the DataStage 9i OCI plugin. Ray may be able to tell us whether the improved globalisation support would help people working with Asian language data.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com