Error in the execution

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sankar18
Participant

Error in the execution

Post by sankar18 »

Hi,

I executed a Job which has some basic routines,
but the job doesn't finished after an hours time.
In the director I pressed the stop button, the message came is, the request send to the server. I stopped the DataStage services and restarted the system, It is running. the start button adn reset button are disabled. tell the the procees to stop the job.

thanks & regards,
T Sankar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Chances are that the job is not, in fact, running (can you see any DataStage processes executing on the server?) but that DataStage has not had a chance to update the job's status file (RT_STATUSxxx) with the fact that the job has stopped before you knocked out the services.
Re-compiling the job is the safest way to force this kind of reset to occur.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
sankar18
Participant

Post by sankar18 »

Hi,

Once the job compiled, status shows it is compiled.
will the process running on the server.

Thanks & regards,
T Sankar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

While it is technically possible to compile a job while it is running on the server, the likelihood that you will succeed in compiling it is miniscule.
It follows, therefore, that the job will almost certainly not be running on the server once you compile it. Did you try this?

Ray Wurlod
ABN 57 092 448 518
sankar18
Participant

Post by sankar18 »

Hi,

I tried to compile the job, It shows the job is running.
I stopped the all service, then start all the services, Compilation is allowed, stopping and starting of all the service.
T Sankar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That "it shows the job as running" can be misleading, as I have posted before. When Manager's Status view shows a job's status, it is reading a value from the RT_STATUSxxx hashed file.
If the job had been stopped, aborted, or crashed, but DataStage had not had the opportunity to update the RT_STATUSxxx hashed file, then the Manager would still show that job's status as Running.
The only way to be sure is to track down the processes associated with a job. Their PIDs are given in log entries and/or in entries in the &PH& subdirectory.

Ray Wurlod
ABN 57 092 448 518