DS 6.x XE/390 debugging tools?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

emhastr
Premium Member
Premium Member

DS 6.x XE/390 debugging tools?

Post by emhastr »

Has anybody been successful in using any debugging tools with XE/390? I tried Xpediter, with no luck. Thanks, Ed
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only close scrutiny of the generated COBOL! :cry:
kjanes
Participant

Post by kjanes »

Just as with other coding environments there are some techniques that can be employed to help debug. Traditionally, you might use "displays" in a COBOL program to help debug.

For syntax errors, the compiler seems to catch a lot. some message are still ambiguous.

For runtime issues, maybe display statements can help. Additionally, if you think there is a problem in the program you may want to write to a sequential file at certain stages to verifiy your data is correct. This is one method to produce a "stepping" type debug.

The messaging in the job log is not too bad either.

I am not exactly sure what issues you have with debugging but those are some suggestions. Are you trying to monitor SQL as it runs? Is that the issue?

There is no magic bullet to "debugging" in this environment because it is basically COBOL. So if you debug it as if it were just another COBOL program then it may make more sense.

I will check to see if there are any improvements with the upcoming version 7.
Kevin Janes
emhastr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Debugger tools for XE/390?

Post by emhastr »

Thanks for your info and tips. I was just fishing for ideas to
add to my personal toolbox. It will be interesting if DS 7.0
enhances debugging. It would be nice if Xpediter, or even the IBM
debugger could be made available to debug custom routines, interfaces to
external routines, etc.

Ed