Usage of Hashed File Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

IBMDS4KK
Participant

Usage of Hashed File Stage

Post by IBMDS4KK »

Hi All,

I am new to server jobs. And currently my project is support project. While analyzing the job, I was not able to understand what is use of Hashed file stage and the main concept behind this ?
Kiran Kumar

...ALL IS WELL...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hashed files in server jobs are similar to very fast local tables used to store and retrieve data. Perhaps the Manual Pages might help you further.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Typically used for lookups. If you have any Informatica experience, I can make a comparison if that would help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
IBMDS4KK
Participant

Post by IBMDS4KK »

Dear Craig,

1) Are we able to view the data of hashed file ?

2) In my project, some hashed file stages are used as a reference to the Transformer stage. I wanna see the data of hashed file, for that I was asked my team mates what is the source of the hashed file. But no body responded. Could you suggest how to see the data ?

Note: I do not have Informatica Experience.
Kiran Kumar

...ALL IS WELL...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You can do a "view data" by right-mouse-clicking on a hashed file in the designer, this is the easiest option for you. The other option is to enter TCL and issue either the old UniVerse DML or SQL commands to list the file, but I'd recommend sticking with "view data" for the moment.
IBMDS4KK
Participant

Post by IBMDS4KK »

Dear ArndW,

The option which you mentioned 'Right Click' on the stage is not working, When i do this it will display like unable to open the file. Please suggest something else.
Kiran Kumar

...ALL IS WELL...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If the job has never been run and thus the table never created and populated, then you'll get that error. Is that the case?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If the hashed file exists and has data, then please post the exact error message, as the view-data functionality should work.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Report to us all the property settings in the Hashed File stage. Beware, too, that names are case sensitive.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arunkumarmm
Participant

Post by arunkumarmm »

Check for the proper file name too.

If the file name is parametrized, it might not have the same file name/path in the job as it does in the job sequence.

You may need to verify those values before trying to view it.
Arun
oracledba
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by oracledba »

IBMDS4KK wrote:The option which you mentioned 'Right Click' on the stage is not working, When i do this it will display like unable to open the file.
Dont right click..... Double click on hash file stage. go to output tab. click on view data