How Can I make use of Parameters in Server jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Rajendra_89
Participant

How Can I make use of Parameters in Server jobs

Post by Rajendra_89 »

Hi All,

Can you please help me in understanding how can I implement use of Parameter file in the Server job?

any link to video or site explaining the steps will be a big help..

Thanks in Advance!
Rajendra
ETL Developer
InfoCepts
prasad.bodduluri
Participant

Use command activiy sequense stage

Post by prasad.bodduluri »

use command activity sequnece stage pass paramter's values to variables activity sequence stage and pass output from variables's acitivty sequense to job.
prasad
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You seem to have some level of experience in Parallel jobs... it's not any different in a Server job. Or a Sequence job. Do you have a specific problem / question / requirement that you need help with?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Rajendra_89
Participant

Post by Rajendra_89 »

Hi Craig

No I am a novice to DataStage and I only have DataStage server Edition with me

So I neither have knowledge of parallel nor of Server...
Just to be specific on my questions I put Server jobs

Thus would like to know the detailed steps for the parameter entries in DS jobs

Further as you pointed out... is there any go to link in order to know how can we do things in Parallel jobs and as workaround in Server jobs .. or brief difference between the two?
Rajendra
ETL Developer
InfoCepts
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I know you only have Server edition. I was making an assumption based on your early posts where you stated things like "I have successfully installed DataStage Server Edition version 8.1 on my Windows 2003 machine But I am not able create Parallel jobs, only Server and Sequence jobs are available" and a need to find other ways "to solve your project issues" so assumed there was a client site with Parallel jobs you worked at or had access to.

One thing to keep in mind is that sites like this are not a substitute for proper training. We're here to help people solve specific problems and provide guidance and most of these things can't be learned from post or two. Not trying to sound harsh or anything and I know you've probably been thrown into the deep end of the pool but that's the reality of it.

When you installed the client, you should also have been able to install a full suite of pdf documentation - do you not have that? Regardless, they are all available online from IBM's site. Start here and then drill down first by your version number and then by product.
-craig

Rajendra_89
Participant

Post by Rajendra_89 »

Hi Craig,

I misinterpret your previous comment. Please dont get me wrong

Thanks for understanding this on my part. I completely agree with you on learning part

Actually I did went from the link given by you but I need something like Developement point of view

Well try to find through the documentation available for the clients. .thanks for those suggestions...
Rajendra
ETL Developer
InfoCepts
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

BTW, there is a "Developer's Guide" available from what I recall that should be a good starting point for you for fundamentals... I can't look for it from work right now but later tonight I'll try to find a link to it for you. Should be some free IBM Redbooks that would help as well. I'll see what I can find.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You could start from somewhere like here which is the official 8.5 documentation. Close enough, especially considering that most of the older 8.1 documentation needs to be purchased for several hundred dollars each. :shock: Problem is the Developer's Guide is a Parallel Guide but you may find it useful, the aforementioned Server Job Developer's Guide is there as well.

Here's a section on making your jobs adaptable i.e. Job Parameters. And a couple of well regarded IBM Redbooks are available here and here. Dang, that's a lot of reading material.

In the interim, do you have any specific questions on using job parameters? What was the requirement you were given? Do you really need to make use of a parameter file? If so you'd need to clarify the need as there a "value files" built into the product (as part of parameter sets which is another topic) and then there's things like a plain old file with values in it that as Prasad mentioned can be 'read' off the disk and passed to a Job Activity stage in a Sequence job. Or via dsjob in a script at the command line or using the BASIC API in a custom job control routine.

Lots of ways to work this, I'm afraid, which is where training (or a mentor you can work with) comes in very handy. Like I said though, if you have something specific you've tried and have a question about, lots of people here can help... myself included.
-craig

Rajendra_89
Participant

Post by Rajendra_89 »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for all the details and the links

I Finally got the all the documentation
Well it was in my system only and I was digging it on the net... :x

I have lot of things to do in a less time and I am working hard on it...

I hope now I will get most of my DataStage functionality related solutions from them and will be back on DSxchange with business scenario implementation issues... :)
Rajendra
ETL Developer
InfoCepts