Transformer Derivations

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shripal86
Participant

Transformer Derivations

Post by shripal86 »

Hi

I need to migrate datastage jobs from Server7x to Parallel8x edition. We have some 300 columns in the job which have different derivations in Transformer stage.Is there any way we can get Transformer derivations of server in parallel?like some back-end file which stores my job mapping and transformations.

Because i have to copy paste each and every column derivation from server version to parllel.
eph
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eph »

Hi,

Maybe a simple click on first derivation+ MAJ=>click on last derivation=>right click=>Copy, then open the parallel transformer=>right click=>Paste Column should do the job.

Eric
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

The simple copy and paste option wont do the job, because a parallel transformer is somewhat different from a server-transformer. Just one main difference: server-transformer supports multiple input-links (one stream-link, one or more reference links) which parallel transformer doesn't. The other difference is, that you can use server-routines and transforms in server-transformer derivations. You can't do that in a parallel-transformer. Version 9.1 will boast some parallel-functions that were only available for server-transformers in prior versions, but not all server-functions will be provided.

There is the option of using a Basic-Transformer in a parallel-job, but this is not going to make anybody happy in the long run.

I'd advise to keep your server-jobs running unchanged as long as you haven't got an explicit need to change them.
Concentrate on the jobs where you have got a severe performance-problem and migrate these to a parallel-version in a straight forward design.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
shripal86
Participant

Post by shripal86 »

Thanks,
Even i do agree with the solutions provided. Will close the Topic from here.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Transformer Derivations

Post by ray.wurlod »

shripal86 wrote:I need to migrate datastage jobs from Server7x to Parallel8x edition.
Why not just keep the server jobs?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.