Extract produces nothing but columns repeated as output

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Cheintze
Participant

Extract produces nothing but columns repeated as output

Post by Cheintze »

We have a server job that extracts data from our system (MAPPER). It connects fine however instead of reading the data in each column, the ODBC connection is getting nothing but the column names repeated as data.

So basically, all 172k records read the same - a duplicate of the column name. We have had this issue before, but were always able to fix it by simply changing the columns in the ODBC connection from upper to lower case, which seemed to work. That does not work for some reason now.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks,
Clay Heintze
Clay Heintze
IT-MC
La. Dept of Corrs.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you have MS-Office installed you've probably also got "msquery" installed, which will let you test the ODBC connection to see if the problem lies in the ODBC connectivity or in DataStage.

What sort of storage lies behind the ODBC connection? If it is an Excel document then I've seen strange behaviour like this before. Since ODBC to Excel chooses each column's data type according to the contents of the first n-rows one can get unexpected results.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does this also occur if you use the DataStage diagnostic tool DS_CONNECT ?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Cheintze
Participant

DS_CONNECT?

Post by Cheintze »

I am not sure how to use DS_CONNECT or where to find it. I am relatively new to using DataStage and we have not had training on it.
Clay Heintze
IT-MC
La. Dept of Corrs.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

In that case MSQUERY will help you quicker.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nobody gets any training on DS_CONNECT. :wink:

From what I recall it is under the "branded_ODBC" directory and comes with a readme that walks you through its use. Poke around, locate it and give it a shot.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DS_CONNECT is executed within the dssh environment, possibly from the Administrator client Command window, possibly by logging in on the engine machine.

Code: Select all

DS_CONNECT <<DSN>>
You are prompted for a user name and password for the data source, and then connection succeeds or fails.
If connection succeeds you can execute any SQL query against the data source.
To exit from DS_CONNECT use the "dot command" .Q

There is also a test utility in branded_odbc, but this is only for the drivers that are shipped with DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... guess I was thinking of the wrong thing. :(
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers