Integer to Date

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MrBlack
Participant

Integer to Date

Post by MrBlack »

I have an 8 digit integer formatted like YYYYMMDD, example would be 20120808 and I need in the transformer to convert it to a date so oracle will accept it.

I have tried using this code

Code: Select all

Oconv(Iconv(Arg1,"DYMD"),"D-YMD[4,2,2]")
but I just get
Attempt to convert String value "2007-11-08" to Date type unsuccessful
I've done some searching already and read people suggesting to use a StringToDate() function but when I try to use it, I get an invalid function error.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Since you are in DataStage Server the error message is not from the conversion itself, but when that column is being written to your database, it is most likely using a different default format for dates. Once you convert your string to what the DB expects the job should work correctly.
MrBlack
Participant

Post by MrBlack »

Do you know how to format to 08-AUG-2012?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In my humble opinion, you do not want to match the "default date format". Rather, use the TO_DATE() function in your insert SQL, which will always work regardless of default format.

TO_DATE(YourColumn,'YYYY-MM-DD')
Would work for the "2007-11-08" example posted earlier.

The OCI stage will actually generate that SQL if you let it and the data types are correct.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
MrBlack
Participant

Post by MrBlack »

You are right and I've been attempting to make it work that way.

On my source column meta it comes in as a Decimal( 8 ), my destination is a Date, in the SQL that datastage auto generates it is using TO_DATE()

INSERT INTO ....
VALUES (...
MY_DATE_COLUMN=TO_DATE(:73, 'DD-MON-YYYY')
)
And in my transformer I process everything through this routine .

If Arg1 > 0 And Iconv(Arg1,"DYMD":@VM:"MCN") Then Ans = Oconv(Iconv(Arg1,"DYMD":@VM:"MCN"), "D-DMY[2,A3,4]")
(If the data is zero I should treat as null. And I'm a newbie so I'm still working on how to properly test for empty or null values in the routine but I do know that on clean data it does format the numbers correctly)

and when I run the job this is the error I get

Facility_Table_Load..Transformer_2: At row 1, link "DSLink4", while processing column "MY_DATE_COLUMN"
Value treated as NULL
Attempt to convert String value "08-NOV-2007" to Date type unsuccessful
So I'm just really scratching my head over this one as to how to properly transform a number 20120808 in a way that I can insert it into a date column.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Fmt(InLink.TheDate,"####-##-##")
will yield 2012-08-08 format from 20120808.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MrBlack
Participant

Post by MrBlack »

I discovered that I was close in the my previous post. Since I'm doing the transformation in a transformer there isn't a need to use OCONV because at that point everything this still internal to datastage. Here's the finish routine I wrote to handle my situation:

If Len(Arg1) = 8 And Iconv(Arg1,"DYMD":@VM:"MCN") 
Then
  Ans = Iconv(Arg1,"DYMD":@VM:"MCN")
  End
Else
  Ans = @null
  End
It checks to make sure that there are 8 digits and that date conversion is possible and that it's not just a random set of 8 digits that don't really make a date other wise it returns null.