How to connect to Unidata using ODBC

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jacksamsula
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to connect to Unidata using ODBC

Post by jacksamsula »

I wish to connect to Unidata via ODBC using Rocket Software's Virtual Schema Generator. The documentation assumes that the user will be using an SQL product such as Access or Visual Basic and, therefore, the documentation assumes that the user will create SQL ready normalized views on the Unidata server. However, I would think that this should not be necessary for Datastage as the Unidata stage does not expect normalized data. Does anyone have experience doing this and should I be correct in thinking I should not have to create views on the Unidata server?
Jack McCarty
American University
Washington DC
jack@American.edu
386-871-4318
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Once you've run VSG over your Unidata account it should be able to be accessed via the UniODBC driver. Therefore it will be necessary to install that driver on your DataStage Engine tier. Do this from the U2 clients media (usually CD or DVD).

Note that the UniData stages in DataStage do not use an ODBC driver; the above process configures your account so that it can be accessed using ODBC (from any ODBC client). In DataStage you'd use some form of ODBC stage, such as ODBC Connector.

There should be no need to do any of this if you stick with the UniData stage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.