New Features in Server Jobs/API ( 8.5 vs 7.51A)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

New Features in Server Jobs/API ( 8.5 vs 7.51A)

Post by rameshrr3 »

My Client is considering moving to version Infosphere DataStage 8.5 or later and to justify this we need more clarity on enhancements to 8.5 versus 7.51A ( Current Version being used) .

As 90% of the jobs are server jobs ( rest are Mainframe) , and converting 100's of jobs all to PX at once is not recommended ( Data volumes do not currently dicate use of parallel jobs ) , wish to know whats new in server jobs so that we can continue using tham while gradually turning over a few jobs at a a time to Parallel ( Only performance intensive ones) .

Another compelling reason to move ahead is the requirement to process or generate complex XML format data . ( I guess 7.51 A may no longer be supported by IBM starting sometime in the near future) - given that v7 Support ends sometime this year )
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I thought 7.5.1A support ended last month (April 30, 2012). Check the IBM web site to be sure. Product Lifecycle. If I recall, the other 7.5.x versions' support ends April 2013. I would push to migrate straight to 8.7 simply to get current and maintain support.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Server jobs work fine in version 8.5 and 8.7. You may like to start switching to Connector technology for connections to data sources, and maybe organise your parameters using Parameter Sets.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Thsnks both of you . I've worked on 8.1 & 8.01 also . ( Server and parallel ) . I wasn't sure if server jobs had any enhancements done to them between 7.5X and 8.X
( Apart from possible bug fixes etc) . It looks like most probably we will be moving to 8.5 ( assuming administrative approvals happen )

Qt_Ky ? Do you know of any URL o IBM link that leads to their product lifecycle pages, esp. end of support dates ? I will try searching the IBM site anyway .
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Out of curiousity, why not go to 8.7?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rprajput
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rprajput »

Here is the URL for the end of support dates

DataStage 7.5.1A - April 30, 2012
Announcement letter: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/int ... -news/end- of-service-2012-04.html
DataStage 7.5.2 and 7.5.3 - April 30, 2013
Announcement letter: http://www- 01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.jsp?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/8/897/ENUS911- 018/index.html&breadCrum=DET001PT022&url=buttonpressed=DET002PT005&specific_i ndex=DET001PEF502&DET015PGL002=DET001PEF011&submit.x=7&submit.y=8&lang= en_US
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Wow !! Its OVER . I'm working on an unsupported product .
Out of curiousity, why not go to 8.7?
The IBM support recommends 8.5 as the best version to migrate to from current 7.51A . ( and 8.5 is a tested release- many clients already using it )
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... I think I remember reading that - you can go straight to 8.5 from where you are but not 8.7, afterwards you can upgrade 8.5 to 8.7. And I'm sure IBM considers 8.7 "tested" but I get your point. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers