Advantages of 8.7 over 8.5

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sambitsamantray
Premium Member
Premium Member

Advantages of 8.7 over 8.5

Post by sambitsamantray »

Hello,

I'm currently looking for options to migrate my current version (7.5 Server Edition) to Datastage 8.7 or Datastage 8.5. Is there any link in which i can find some documentation in order to check for advantages of 8.7 over 8.5 especially in the server edition.

If in case of Server edition there isn't much difference between 8.7 and 8.5 then upgrading to which edition would is recommendable?
Sambit Samantray
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you read the Release Notes for 8.7? They include "what's new in this release". They're available from IBM Information Center for InfoSphere Information Server version 8.7
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sambitsamantray
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sambitsamantray »

I did some research on the documentation available in the link provided above. I didn't find ample information regarding advantages of server edition of 8.7 over older versions. Indeed there are a lot of advantages when it comes to the parallel edition of 8.7.

Can you please share any additional info regarding advantages of 8.7 over older versions specific to server edition?
Sambit Samantray
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Off the top of my head:
  • Connectors (including DRS Connector)

Data Connection objects

Parameter Sets

Support for connection to newer versions of databases

Job log visible in Designer

New XML handling - effectively unlimited document size

Faster startup of Designer, particularly with complex job designs
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I would go with 8.7. There are some arguments that 8.5 has been around longer and is therefore more reliable but that is countered by the extra defect fixes that are in 8.7 and the absence of any fix packs or patch requirements. For DataStage use the main advantage is the new DataStage Operations Console. If you add a Metadata Workbench license the a big advantage is the new Asset Manager for snapshots and comparisons of imported metadata.

These advantages are across the Server and Parallel editions.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Yes, the Operations Console you mentioned looks very cool...
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius