The Precompilation failed - no other information provided!..

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rasi
Participant

The Precompilation failed - no other information provided!..

Post by rasi »

Guys

Did anyone faced this problem in datastage Designer?....

When I changed my existing job to add one new column it gave this error. And pressing the show button doesn't do anything

Will post you the finding if I come to know the reason

Thanks
Siva
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

I had found the problem which caused that error.

I created a copy of the job and did a compile and in that it said

"Active Stage output has no columns"

When I went back to the original job it didn't allowed me to even open the transformer. I said ole error for that transformer which had problem. I did closed the job and re-opened and deleted that link and recreated it. It then complied without any problem.

Cheers
Siva
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Usually, when that kind of error occurs, the More button is enabled and you can determine what failure has happened. But not always. :cry:

:idea: Always be alert for the More button becoming enabled.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asingh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asingh »

I have also found this problem whilst working on a version of a job after several compilations and runs.

However disconnecting and re-connecting the links did not help. I had to get the transformer from a previous version of the job and then it was fine.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

Failed precompilation involves DataStage losing track of some kind of relationship between the objects in a job design. In Siva's case it was link properties; in your case it appears to have been either another link or stage properties. In any case you appear to have resolved it.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asingh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asingh »

Hmm ok well I can't see your suggestion not being a Premium member.
asingh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asingh »

An additional piece of information regarding this issue is that it appears to only happen after a DB2 Stored Procedure call. I have 3 of these in my job and they are different calls.
asingh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asingh »

OK, I was able to solve this problem with no external help (hint, hint).

Steps to resolve the problem include (not sure if some of them are absolutely required):

1. Copy all components of the job to a new job - no need to save it.

2. Save the job as a another job name then delete all stages from the job. This step is especially useful if you have a lot of job parameters which you need to use.

3. Copy the stages from the unsaved job to the newly saved job. Compilation should be successful.

Other symptoms related to this problem include:
- Transformer stage properties cannot be viewed.
- Transformer stage properties do not display input or output columns in the top half of the screen.
- Re-linking stages does not propagate column information.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:? (hint, hint) what?

Re-read what you posted. There was no hidden 'suggestion' from Ray because you did not indicate you were having any kind of problem.
asingh wrote:I had to get the transformer from a previous version of the job and then it was fine.
Even your followup post only seemed informational. There were no questions posted. Next time, if you are looking for help with something, make that a little more clear and you'll get as much help as everyone here can provide.

Thanks for posting your resolution steps, it helps searchers with similar problems find answers here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asingh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asingh »

Thanks. I'll try to be more succinct next time.
kamalshil
Participant

Post by kamalshil »

asingh wrote:OK, I was able to solve this problem with no external help (hint, hint).

Steps to resolve the problem include (not sure if some of them are absolutely required):

1. Copy all components of the job to a new job - no need to save it.

2. Save the job as a another job name then delete all stages from the job. This step is especially useful if you have a lot of job parameters which you need to use.

3. Copy the stages from the unsaved job to the newly saved job. Compilation should be successful.

Other symptoms related to this problem include:
- Transformer stage properties cannot be viewed.
- Transformer stage properties do not display input or output columns in the top half of the screen.
- Re-linking stages does not propagate column information.
I have tried this steps and this is not working for me.
Also more button is not enable.
How to solve this issue.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Close Designer and re-open.
kamalshil
Participant

Post by kamalshil »

ray.wurlod wrote:Close Designer and re-open. ...
It doesn't work.
i have deleted all the copy jobs also.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

For the benefit of anyone searching and finding this thread, I just had the same error and it was because I had renamed the in and out links in a Shared Container, but hadn't gone into the SC stage in the job and set the in and out link associations.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
mohiddin
Participant

Precomilation failed

Post by mohiddin »

I too faced this problem. I have closed the designer and the director and reopened again and it solved my problem. Try this one as the first option.