Reading Mainframe flat file to populate Oracle table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Seyed
Participant

Reading Mainframe flat file to populate Oracle table

Post by Seyed »

Hi all,
I have a requirement to build a server job to pull columns from a flat file on the Mainframe and then use them to populate an Oracle table. What type of stage should I use for my Mainframe flat file?

Thank you,

Seyed
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Complex Flat File stage was built to do exactly that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Seyed
Participant

Post by Seyed »

Hi Craig,
Thank you for your input. I tried using Complex Flat File, but I don't see that as an option. Therefore, I tried using a FTP stage. Now, I am getting the following error message:

Code: Select all

Load_Wrkr_Loc_test..FTP_Plug_in_0: Connection to the remote host's FTP server failed, socket call 'connect' failed
I know the name of the dataset on the Mainframe, but don't know which FTP address to open. I have access to the needed dataset on the Mainframe. I can logon to the Mainframe and browse the data.

Thank you,

Seyed
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I was wondering if I'd need to clarify that. The CFF stage is for reading the file but you first need to get the file from the mainframe to your ETL server, how you do that is completely up to you.

Can't help with the specifics of your FTP question, can you take it to your mainframe admin and see what the protocol there is? We process some files from a mainframe source here but they push them all to us.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Seyed
Participant

Post by Seyed »

Hi Craig,
Thank you very much for the information. At your suggestion, I am going to find our Mainframe security person to get that information.

Thanks again,

Seyed
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Any reason why it has to be a server job? Can you make it An Enterprise job if possible?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Maybe they have a server-only licensing regime.

(Not everyone has your budget. ;) )
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Seyed
Participant

Post by Seyed »

Ray,
You are correct, we only have a server-only license.

Seyed