Abnormal Termination of Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

U
Participant

Abnormal Termination of Stage

Post by U »

One of our jobs threw "Abnormal termination of stage transformer_name detected" error in production. The job works in dev/test environments but threw only this error in production - there was no extra information logged and no other errors/warnings logged. Job design is OCI --> Transformer --> SeqFile and it is a direct pass through the Transformer - no transformations. View Data on the OCI stage works successfully.

We have checked everything we can think of on the two machines. There are minor differences in versions only of glibc and some IBM DB2 patches, but these should not affect server jobs.

Because it's a production environment (and for a bank at that) we are really limited in our scope for experimentation. We would really appreciate any suggestions about what things to look for.

It may be an issue that the job was run from a Batch, but we checked the Batch and the job's logs, and all the parameter values were passed correctly (obviously we couldn't check the encrypted Oracle password, but there was no error from the OCI stage so we think that that's OK).
jeyarajnjd
Participant

Post by jeyarajnjd »

Just check your database driver version installed in the datastage server against the database. This might be one of the reasons for abnormal termination. Probably you need to upgrade the driver.
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

I doubt whether it is due to connectivity.

Can you try routing the data traffic through your dev or test database? There could be some special chars or derivation having issues.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Couldn't tell from your post, but did you Reset the aborted job? Sometimes that logs a 'From previous run...' message with more diagnostic information in it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
U
Participant

Post by U »

My apology for not mentioning this. Yes we did reset the job; the only message from previous run was the one-line [Done] message from the phantom process DSD.StageRun, which I understand is the Transformer stage's process.
Keshav007
Participant

Post by Keshav007 »

some times it happens if IDOCS to be processed are more than the limit
Keshav
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Interesting addition to a thread that's more than two years old. Which of the stages in U's design do you believe would handle IDOCs?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
esivaprasad
Participant

Post by esivaprasad »

ray.wurlod wrote:Interesting addition to a thread that's more than two years old. Which of the stages in U's design do you believe would handle IDOCs? ...

hi ,
this similar type of problem i also faced last month.
only you need to do is clear your phantom file from adminstrator.
1.log on to adminstrator , select your project and click command option, then
"CLEAR.FILE &PH&" and execute this commasnd.
2.do the shmtest in datastage enginee bin folder like
"./shmtest". according to the test result update your uvconfig file.
3.must restart your datastage server.
hope this may resolve your problem.
Siva
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

OK peoples... I'm two steps away from locking this thread. We do not need to keep piling in here with every possible reason for the rather generic "abnormal ternination of stage" error one gets with Server jobs. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers