File Data in Table Column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

File Data in Table Column

Post by highpoint »

Hi,

Trying to Accomplish : To load a complete sequential file into one column of table.

For this i am using Folder stage to read the file, load the entire file in to the "RECORD" column of the
sequential file.

I have used the option of Preserve CRLF as "NO". Since i want this as one column going into one column of table.

I was able to load it in table. But all the records are appended to each other and is not in readable format.

When i see data in table. Between each record there is a small 'p' kind of thing.

I would like to put back the new line characters in place of small 'p'.

when i do octal dump i see a ascii value of "376". Dont know what it represents.

i would like to convert 'p' to newline character. i think new line character is char(13).

Would appreciate help on accomplishing proper formatted data of file in table column.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

What happens when you set 'Preserve' to yes?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Also note I changed your Job Type from Parallel to Server as there is no Folder stage on the PX side. I also deleted your duplicate post in the PX forum, please don't post the same question multiple times.
-craig

highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by highpoint »

chulett wrote:What happens when you set 'Preserve' to yes?
When i set preserve to Yes. The next job reading this file thinks as multiple rows because the column has new line character in it.

Also my job creating the file is server job. But the job reading the created file is parallel, so earlier i posted this in both the forums.As issue may be resolved by tweaking any one of these 2 jobs.
highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by highpoint »

Gurus help is appreciated on this.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Patience, Grasshopper. And learn to use the Reply to topic link rather than quoting everything every time for no reason.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... why two jobs? I made the silly assumption that you were doing everything all at once (hence my suggestion), don't really see the point of reading the file using the Folder stage only to write it back out again to yet another sequential file.

Any particular reason your first job can't do the loading as well? If you really need this in two parts, simply use Convert() to change the offending character to whatever you like just before you load it.
-craig

highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by highpoint »

I can use the convert() function. But i don't know what is the offending character.
on Unix when i do octal dumb "od -bc" for that character i get a value of 376.

Help is appreciated to convert this offending character to new line character.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

While Ray, being a Founding Father and all, may just know what the character is mere mortals like you and I need to figure it out... and it seems you already have. Your problem is you are dumping the value in octal, convert it to or dump it in decimal and then use that value along with Char() when you Convert.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Octal 376 is decimal 254. This is the "field mark" character which can be referenced via the Char() function but, to avoid recalculating the Char() function unnecessarily, also through the @FM system variable. This is the character to which line terminators are converted when reading.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
highpoint
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by highpoint »

So, what i understand is

if i use

Convert (@FM,char(13),column_name) --> Recommended
Convert (char(254), char(13), column_name) --> Not recommened

I shall be able to convert "Field Mark" to New Line Character.

I dont have access to Datastage right now.

Please correct me if i am missing something.

And also will i be able to use @FM in a parallel job Transform?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Even that is sub-optimal, because you re-evaluate Char(13) for every record. Better would be to evaluate Char(13) (and, possibly, Char(254)) when initializing stage variables, and not to derive those stage variables further. Then Convert(svFieldMark, svNewLine, InLink.TheString) to effect the conversion.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.