XML Stage in 8.5 version of datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bkar
Participant

XML Stage in 8.5 version of datastage

Post by bkar »

Do I need to install any add on or patch to get XML stage in Datastage 8.5?
I'm new to DS world and novice user. please explain in detail. My requirement is to parse a XML and convert it to CSV.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. You need either the patch or Fix Pack 1 to get the new XML functionality. You can get either from IBM Fix Central.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

....share some more of your requirements...

......even without applying the patch, you have the included xmlInput and xmlOutput stages, for reading and writing xml respectively.

There are significant enhancements in the 8.5 functionality that you might want to take advantage of, depending on your needs....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
bkar
Participant

Post by bkar »

All of our Custom OTM (Oracle Transportation Management) interfaces and few other Interfaces use XML files from OTM and need to load into JDE Staging tables or EDI tables for Edge EDI transmissions. So we are looking for XML Graphical parsing capabilities without having to do much of programming.

We will get the XML file and we need to convert them to CSV file or we can directly put them in temporary table.
MT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MT »

Hi

ray.wurlod wrote:. You need either the patch or Fix Pack 1 to get the new XML functionality. You can get either from IBM Fix Central.
What Ray wrote is the original intention but we have tried using the new stage and it works in a parallel job but not in a server job.

We found following note:
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg1JR38124

And I also found this:
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview ... wg21496308

So it seems that because of bugs IBM is removing the support for the server canvas for the new XML-Stage - it seems to be simpler for them than fixing it.
So if you like or need to have it speak up guys!
regards

Michael
bkar
Participant

Post by bkar »

Thanks everyone for your answers, It helped me in a great deal.
I got the colclusion now that If I need to use XML stage then I Have to get Fix pack 1 and I need to use only Parallel jobs.

still I have below questions

1. Which is better XML pack(XML input,XML output,XML transformation) or XML stage.

2. What should be process flow, It would be great if I will get example how to implement it.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

There are MANY factors that go into this.....far too many than I could possibly list here.

At a "very" general level, though, you should be encouraged to start using the new XML Stage --- ultimately, it is the direction for DataStage and QualityStage and XML. It does things that the xmlInput and xmlOutput Stages cannot. Specifically for reading, it can handle huge documents, and will parse them significantly faster.

But --- it needs to have an xsd. You will need to create one if you don't already have one, or generate one....and generating one has to be done carefully to be sure you are representing all the elements and their proper structure. ...and you need to have some time for the learning curve of the new Stage....both have a learning curve, as working with XML can be complex, but the new Stage requires that you know a little more about xml itself....if you are experienced with XML, you will find this to be very positive, as the new Stage reflects the xsd, let's you browse the tree, see the repeating nature of sub-nodes, etc.

The advantages on the "writing" side are much greater, but since you are reading your xml, it's really a matter of how much time you have, how complicated and large the xml is, and whether or not you have an xsd.

In either case, if the documents are on disk, I would encourage you to have an External Source Stage feeding xmlInput or the new xml stage, followed by a transformer (in case you want to do additional transformations) and then a sequental stage to write things to .csv. ....of course, you might have other stages in the path to complete your transformation activity.

Ernie

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>