How can I increase the rows/sec while running the job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sush26283
Participant

How can I increase the rows/sec while running the job

Post by sush26283 »

How can I increase the rows/sec while running the job... I have the transaction handling and array size both set to 500 each, but am getting only 10rows/sec..someone please suggest.

Thanks
jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

some basic background questions

Post by jgreve »

I'd suggest starting with telling us how your host-computer doing. If you're already running at 100% CPU utilization, it may be time for a hardware upgrade (I see you're on windows, so I suggest that you start with googling "task manager").

Next, I suggest you say a little about your job design....
How many data sources & targets?
For each of those, how many records, and how big are the records? And where do they come from or go to? (e.g. database, flatfile, webservice...).

What kind of processing are you doing inside your job?
John
sush26283
Participant

Re: some basic background questions

Post by sush26283 »

hi...well its simple job with one to one mapping with over 56k records...the source and target are both sql server...with only one source table and one target table
GJ_Stage
Participant

Post by GJ_Stage »

Hi ,

Can you check and confirm data is pre-sorted or not. Sometime this will make as process slow.
Jothi
jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: some basic background questions

Post by jgreve »

sush26283 wrote:hi...well its simple job with one to one mapping with over 56k records...the source and target are both sql server...with only one source table and one target table
Over 56K records? So more than 56,000 records but less than what... 57,000 records? At 10/second, that gives you 5,600 seconds; so it takes about 90 minutes to run?

Are your source & target on the same instance of SQL Server? If so, how long does it take to run that query on SQL Server itself? e.g.

insert into test_temp_table select * from source_table;

Replace the red part with the source query you're using in DataStage.
If that is slow, DataStage won't be able to do any better than what SQL Server does.

Can you post your data source SQL statement?

By the way - how was your CPU load doing on the DataStage machine actually running your server job (you did read up on task manager, yes?).
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

Remember that your row per second calculation begins from your job start time, not the time where Row #1 begins to be sent accross to your server.

If you have complex SQL in your connector stage, you might be waiting 5 minutes for your DBMS to handle the SQl and begin returning row #1. Your rows per second factors that 5 mins into your overall math.

Your job startup time is thus a part of that row per second calculation.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Change the system clock on the server while the job is running.

Rows/sec is an almost totally meaningless metric.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.