Display and Import errors for SOME jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ORACLE_NAC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Display and Import errors for SOME jobs

Post by ORACLE_NAC »

I have a previous post that concerned SOME DS jobs showing Un-plugged wall sockets in place of the DRS stage icon. NOT a memory issue.

Have run through shmtest, uvconfig alters, regens, all the sys and err logs.

No issues identified by support with those.

As a last ditch effort to dicover a solution prior to a complete de-install/re-install I created a new project on the same installation, exported the jobs from the original project and imported them into the new project.

ALL of the Jobs that showed an un-plugged wall outlet gave this error on import into the new project (The job name differed).
"Unicode character 'FFFD' appears not to be supported by code page 1252 - ignoring it.
Current line=110
DSJOB / Backup_EnterpriseDateTime_HashFiles / V0 (Job designs)
"0\(FFFD)StageID=V0S1| | "

Those jobs that appeared normal imported without throwing this error message.

They are all delivered jobs, routines, etc.

Any arguments I can provide the client to get them to change something? I have installed this release and these exact DSX without problem at 5 other clients.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a memory issue on the client, not on the server (to which commands like shmtest relate). Close some other windows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ORACLE_NAC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ORACLE_NAC »

The only thing DS related running on the client (besides the regular Windows processes) is Designer. The client has 4GB of physical memory. This happens on every client, so I then surmise that it should happen at every installation of 8.1.

I have "found" another Solaris 10 customer that is encountering the same problem with 8.1.

We are doing a complete de-install/re-install and additionally this time we are applying fix pack 1 for Solaris as recommended by support.

I truly wish it were just memory
ORACLE_NAC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Arrr! Thar be DS jobs in that thar project

Post by ORACLE_NAC »

Completed a de-install of all the server components.
Completed an install of all server components.
Applied FP1 for 8.1 Solaris on server for Windows on clients
Applied Critical Patch for performance on server (already on clients from previous install)
Imported the DSX (fresh download from support).
Everything looks normal and is operating faster.
ORACLE_NAC
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Arrr! Thar be DS jobs in that thar project

Post by ORACLE_NAC »

So the issue was:
The Client INSISTED that all RDBMS including the xmeta be created using US7ASCII as the NLS charcter set for the initial install.
xmeta will not function correctly as US7ASCII. It must be according to IBM: AL32UTF8. So the reinstall was done the same as the first time except the RDBMS was created as AL32UTF8. Problem Solved. No more Unplugged icons.