Arithmetic overflow into SQl server bulk loader

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Arithmetic overflow into SQl server bulk loader

Post by JPalatianos »

Hi,
A developer just ran into a problem when he is running his data into a target MS SQL Server Load stage...he gets the warning:
cfsstg_finance_database_stage_2_jptest..Cfsstg_finance_database_stage_2_ins.IDENT2: Arithmetic overflow

When he changes the target from the MS SQL Server Load to an ODBC stage with every thing else unchanged he runs clean. I looked at the job and am not sure where IDENT2 is coming from.

Any ideas?

Thanks - - John
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Those are the names given to 'invisible' transformers the compiler adds to your job between passive stages when you don't put them in yourself. That was the second one in that job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JPalatianos
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JPalatianos »

Thanks! Now for the question:
Why when changing the target from the MS SQL Server Load to an ODBC stage with every thing else unchanged he runs clean. Why would the arithmetic overflow just show for the bulk loader?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Now that one I can't answer. Problems in Server jobs are always reported by the active stage, hence the error from the transformer when the bulk loader went astray. You'd probably need to involve your official support provider if you really wanted to track that one down.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Perhaps the SQL Server loader stage checks the range of unsigned integers as if they were signed, and the ODBC stage doesn't. This is one for your official support provider - that was just a guess on my part. Of course, your job design could ensure that out of range values never reach the stage in the first place.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.