issue on Type30 files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shruthija
Participant

issue on Type30 files

Post by shruthija »

Hi ,

smat -d running from the windows command prompt always throws "No type 30 files active" though there are many clients opened and running Jobs.

This issue I am facing only on our lab machines which are in network and on 7.5 and 8.1 versions of Datastage.

But when i worked on my own machine installing 7.5, its working fine.

In both the cases(lab and my machine) I installed Datastage with Administrator.I loged into windows machine with same user and installed Datastage with same user.

One more thing is in non working machine(lab machine) shrdump.exe is throwing following info

Shared Memory Usage:
Maximum Block Used=3
id key Rev Current pid uid Length Used Time created
Its not showing shared segments where as in my own system, segments are shown clearly.

C:\Ascential\DataStage\Engine>bin\shrdump.exe

Shared Memory Usage:
Maximum Block Used=5
id key Rev Current pid uid Length Used Time created
1 daec7531 0 1 2364 0 6925488 3 Mar 10 08:34
2 98760000 0 1 2364 0 1024 3 Mar 10 08:34
3 daebf718 0 1 2280 0 6400 1 Mar 10 03:32
4 67890000 0 1 2280 0 4200 1 Mar 10 03:32
5 daee7531 0 1 2404 0 905448 2 Mar 10 08:34

One more observation is , when execute analyze.shm -x,(in working machine) throws

NT service process id: 2364
NT service remote thread routine address: 4012F0

And in non working machine analyze.shm -x throws

NT service process id: 0
NT service remote thread routine address: 0

Please throw some light on this problem.
Your hints,opinions,sugestions on this issue helps a lot.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Approaching the problems one-by-one. At Version 8.1 you can store your metadata in xmeta instead of in DataStage hashed files, I haven't experimente with this but I would guess that in that case no dynamic files would be open, perhaps just the static VOC hashed file. Unless you see this problem prior to version 8.1 I wouldn't worry about it (in a running and functional system).

If "smat -d" and "shrdump.exe" show no files/segments open my first guess would be that DataStage isn't started correctly. Are all the services actually running on this machine?
shruthija
Participant

Post by shruthija »

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.
The issue is seen in prior release to 8.1.

I don't doubt about installation as server and parallel jobs are working fine.
All the datastage services are up and running.

I have both working and non working machines now.Any hints on how how I can debug here.More over I doubt about the environment,permissions and any restrictions on network machines and so...But I dont really get how to debug this further.

If any of your ideas, clues helps me...I will b very thank full.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm lost here and unclear exactly what your issue is or if it even relates to "Type30 files". You say you have one "non working machine"... what exactly is not working about it? What symptoms / behaviour are you seeing? Other than the "smat -d" part, of course. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cecilia
Participant

Post by cecilia »

Hi Shruthija
I have a customer with the same issue: No Type3 files active.
He's running IS 8.1 Server on Windows 2003 platform and he gets no sempahores actives when run smat -s. Same results with smat -a.
I found a post here: viewtopic.php?t=131006&highlight=smat+type++files
where Ray Wurlod says "Not all shared memory operations are supported on Windows".
I'm not sure what this means when the customer has thousand jobs running well and he hadn't problems running smat when he was in version 7.
Please let me know if this help you and/or if you can solve the issue. I'll continue the research.
Regards
Cecilia
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What do you see when you execute the shrdump command? This executable is to be found in the DataStage engine's bin folder.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cecilia
Participant

Post by cecilia »

Hi Ray
Nothing is reported by shrdump

Shared memory usage:
Maximum block used=1
id key Rev current .......

Regards
Cecilia
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Then you're probably on an operating system that does not support the DataStage shared memory interrogation commands (even though use is still made of shared memory by the software).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cecilia
Participant

Post by cecilia »

Hi Ray
Do you mean the Windows version or how Windows was configured?
Would this explain why the same happens with smat -s?
Thanks
Cecilia
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes it does. analyze.shm, smat, semaphore_status and list_readu all share the same executable.

(And I mean the Windows version. Some AIX versions also don't support these commands.)
cecilia
Participant

Post by cecilia »

Thanks Ray
I opened a PMR to investigate further this issue and ask for a workaround or something.
I let you know what I get from IBM support.
Regards
Cecilia
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You'll get "it can not be fixed". Whether or not these commands work depends on how the operating system implements semaphores, whether they are old-style "dumb" semaphores with information attached or newer-style "smart" semaphores (such as mutual exclusion (mutex) locks) which don't have retrievable information attached to them.
soporte
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by soporte »

Hi Ray
Here the answer you had anticipated from IBM Support:
I think there were some issues with smat on Windows depending where the command is issued from. It is not a problem with dynamic files or locking, and the method used for semaphores has NOT changed on Windows in newer releases. From what I could find, there are 2 methods used but I wouldn't call them dumb and smart. On all Windows, HPPA, Solaris prior to 8.1 and 64bit port, and AIX prior to 8.1 and 64bit port DSEngine has legacy compatibility code for semaphores. These are the ones in which smat -s can report info. HP Itanium, all Linux flavors, and 64bit versions of AIX and Solaris use the C function called semop(). smat -s cannot report on these.

I tested it with IS 8.1 smat on Windows 2003 Server and got the same.
C:\>smat -d

No type 30 files active.

That would indicate that it is not supported under 8.1 or beyond.

Colin Frank
SWG Client Support - Software
Support Engineer
702-516-7304
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you have at least one dynamic hashed file open at the time? That is the expected response from smat -d when there are no hashed files open - when the command is not supported you get a message in those terms.