warning message: DSD.BCIPut call to SQLExecute failed.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sush26283
Participant

warning message: DSD.BCIPut call to SQLExecute failed.

Post by sush26283 »

HI ALL,

I have a simple server job, plain simple source to target mapping with no transformations in transformer. every time i run the job, am getting the following WARNING MESSAGES FOR ALL THE ROWS. majority of the rows are getting transferred to the reject with a few being written to the target table. can someone reflect and help me with it.

ABC..FormatContractMix.LoadTdmContractMix: DSD.BCIPut call to SQLExecute failed.
SQL statement:UPDATE dm_ABC SET current_ind = ?, load_job_name = ?, load_date = convert(smalldatetime, ?) WHERE (contract_type = ? AND sale_type = ? AND sale_source_type = ? AND sale_source = ?)
16 Rows affected.

contract_type = "XXX"
sale_type = "YYY"
sale_source_type = "ABX"
sale_source = "DFG"
current_ind = "Y"
load_job_name = "ABC"
load_date = "YYYY-MM-DD"
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The key piece of information is the 16 Rows affected part, which is an extra informational message the database is returning and which causes DataStage to generate the warning. What database is this? Are you purposefully trying to update multiple records at a time?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sush26283
Participant

Post by sush26283 »

chulett wrote:The key piece of information is the 16 Rows affected part, which is an extra informational message the database is returning and which causes DataStage to generate the warning. What database is this? Are you purposefully trying to update multiple records at a time?
am using sql server 2008 for both source and target..using update and then insert for the loading methodology...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't see any value in that recordset that could be converted to smalldatetime.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sush26283
Participant

Post by sush26283 »

ray.wurlod wrote:I don't see any value in that recordset that could be converted to smalldatetime. ...
actually that is for the load_date column for which in transformer am using the date.tag(@date) in derivation to get the current date..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, then I'll concur with Craig, because DataStage expects the database server (or ODBC driver) to be silent on request but yours is returning informational content. So DataStage alerts you to the fact that unexpected output has been received.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sush26283
Participant

Post by sush26283 »

ray.wurlod wrote:OK, then I'll concur with Craig, because DataStage expects the database server (or ODBC driver) to be silent on request but yours is returning informational content. So DataStage alerts you to the fact that unexpected output has been received.
alright, so what exactly am I to do, to get rid of those warning messages, and how will it effect the whole process...
sorry to ask such novice questions, but I am one :)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Answer my question, please... are you intentionally updating multiple records in the target table with each record you process?
-craig

sush26283
Participant

Post by sush26283 »

chulett wrote:Answer my question, please... are you intentionally updating multiple records in the target table with each record you process?
by multiple do u mean DUPLICATES...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Call it what you like, I'm trying to assertain if you are updating 16 rows in the one update you posted on purpose (i.e. it was expected) or by accident and it was an unexpected result. The former you may have to take up with your DBA while the latter could be because (for example) your key choice wasn't precise enough. That answer will help drive how to resolve this.
-craig

sush26283
Participant

Post by sush26283 »

chulett wrote:Call it what you like, I'm trying to assertain if you are updating 16 rows in the one update you posted on purpose (i.e. it was expected) or by accident and it was an unexpected result. The former you may have to take up with your DBA while the latter could be because (for example) your key choice wasn't precise enough. That answer will help drive how to resolve this.
it certainly was an unexpected result..i didnt intend to do so
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then, as noted, see if you can correct the key fields you are using to properly identify the single record you are trying to update. Once your update only affects 1 record, the warnings will go away.
-craig