parameter name --> Password

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

parameter name --> Password

Post by karthi_gana »

All,

I have designed more than 75 jobs so far. ODBC stage has been used in most of the jobs.

In 'Password' box --> I have hard coded the password, say for example if the password is 'karthik' then i just hardcoded it as ******.

I know it is not the correct way if we want to change the username and password at runtime.

I have created a ParameterSet and declared a variable called SourcePWD and then given the password (ex: karthik)

now my question is

shall i give #SourcePWD# in the 'password' textbox (say for example ********** --> #SourcePWD#) instead of hardcoding the password?
Karthik
natashab
Participant

Post by natashab »

Yes,you can use the parameter
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

natashab wrote:Yes,you can use the parameter
i have some questions on 'Parameter Set' ?

I see 3 tabs when i open a parameter set.

1) General
2) Paramaters
3) Values

what is the difference betewen 'Parameters' and 'Values' ? I see i can enter values in both the tabs. which one will be taken at run time?

if i use parametr set in my job, do i need to specify the paramter set name in the .ini file ? Because i faced some issues when i run a batch.

I have created a parameter.ini file and specified the values in the file. say for example,

Content of parameter.ini file
SourceDSN = MF_QA

But in the parameter set, i gave MF_DEV.

when i run the batch (which call the parameter.ini file to populate values for the variables), it took MF_DEV instead of MF_QA.

then i changed like

Content of parameter.ini file
<parameter_set_name>.SourceDSN = MF_QA

after this change, the batch job took MF_QA.

why?
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Because you specified it correctly in the second example. Parameters that are part of a parameter set need to be referenced / prefixed with their set name for them to fully work as expected.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

ok.

what is the difference betewen 'Parameters' and 'Values' ? I see i can enter values in both the tabs. which one will be taken at run time?
Karthik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Don't have any access this year and can't check. I suspect the first is the 'design time' value stored with the job and the second is the value stored in the 'values file' but hopefully someone who knows for certain will wander by. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Depends whether, at run time, you specify "(As defined)" or one of the values file names.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

ok. I can give the parameter name in the 'password' textbox instead of hardcoding the password. right?

As i am on leave from thursday, i haven't tested it yet.
Karthik
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Leave?!! You're permitted to take leave?!!
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
karthi_gana
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthi_gana »

ray.wurlod wrote:Leave?!! You're permitted to take leave?!!
:lol:
ha ha ha

:)
Karthik