Input column does not promote to output column

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Input column does not promote to output column

Post by SURA »

Hi

I am passing 10 column as the input to sort stage and taking the same number of columns as the output.

But in the run time i am getting the error

"Input column does not promote to output column"

Can any one help me in this?

Thanks in advance
Ram
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Is there any changes to the metadata from input to output?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Must be. The column names don't need to match but all columns promote "positionally" so the input column type must be convertible to the output column type.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
SURA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Input column does not promote to output column

Post by SURA »

SURA wrote:Hi

I am passing 10 column as the input to sort stage and taking the same number of columns as the output.

But in the run time i am getting the error

"Input column does not promote to output column"

Can any one help me in this?

Thanks in advance
Ram

There is no change. Both input and output are same. I foudn some workaround. Post it once it is confirmed.

Thanks
Ram
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Either way, post the data types on the input link and the data types on the output link.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kirkboy
Participant

Post by kirkboy »

I am having a similar problem. Getting the error 'Input column does not promote to output column' and my input and output columns are the exact same. My inputs were saved, then loaded into my outputs, so there is no change in position, SQL type, etc.

Edit: I took the column in the sort input/output link that was causing this error and changed it to a 'Key' column. This fixed the error.

I had 203 columns, and 5 columns that defined a distinct record. The first three columns were keys, then the column that was causing this error (not a key), then two more keys after that. I am not sure if it is part of the reason the fix worked, but making the non-key column which was between the key columns at the top of the link's list of columns into a Key fixed the issue.